Counting Mealworms

727geckokid

Thanks to Khrysty, I have Tons and Tons of Mealworms. I bought a bunch of mealworm beatles from her Months ago. Today i sifted thru all the poop and putting new bedding in. I decided to take some pics of all the mealworms. My question is how do you count mealworms Like if i wanted to sell them by 100,500, 1000 and so on? Also how many mealworms do you think are in the pics?

25kjxol.jpg

This is about an inch deep
fxbe36.jpg

2hf86tz.jpg

Vision Geckos

visiongeckos.com
I do it by weight. Weigh 100, then just multiply by the multiple of whatever amount you're looking at. For example, I know that 500 of my mealworms weigh about 60 grams.

BrilliantEraser

Bookworm!
I'm going to use my official opinion and say that you have precisely one crap ton of meal worms. That's scientific terminology, right there.

But in all honesty, I would use the weight method. Count out 100 average-sized mealies into a cup, weigh them, and then divide by 100. Use that as a baseline approximation for your individual mealie weight.

727geckokid

Thanks everyone. I was thinking about weighing them. Just wanted to see what others did.

And David, Sure thing Bud. I should be coming to Orlando in April. But if you need them before thats fine, I'll ship them your way.

Landen

LSReptiles
I had the same issue. I provide a few of my customers that have several leo's with mealworms. I counted out 100 and it weighed right at 10 grams. This was done with worms a min of 1 inch. Very similar to yours. I then weighed just ten of them and weighed just over a gram.

Therefor I weigh out per 10 grams and then toss in a few more for good measure.

Hope this helps give you and idea.

My guess is you have about 350+ grams of mealworms there? Am I right?

Double D

Count them 1.2.3.4.5.6...... LOL I'd say weighing them. Or counting a certain number into container and marking it as stated above would be your best bet.

doodlebug86

we do it by weight where i work. It's never perfect, but it works. And there have only been a few weirdos who come back in and complain that when they counted them out, there weren't 500 mealworms in their cup.
But since you have so many in there, you might have to start by counting out 100 and seeing what the weight is, and then go from there.
I'd say by the picture you have at least 40,000 +.

727geckokid

Well It turns out i Have about 1040 Grams worth of worms at 10grams per 100 worms. So i have right around 10,000 Worms. I will be putting up Most of the worms for sale, I have Other means of feeders plus atleast 20,000 more mealies growing, With a bunch of beatles Laying. I am Not sure about Price I have a Number in my Head but if you are interested Please Pm me.

Visit our friends