Crickets and carpet

STUTFL

I've got a separate 10-gallon terrarium for the crickets (it was originally STUTFL's cage, but he's in a nicer one now that I already had when I got him). They live there and they die there, since loose ones in the gecko cage tend to sneak behind a bowl or the hide and die there or crawl all over him while he sleeps.
They're never in there very long, and never more than a dozen at a time.

I had them on bark chips, as they also "came with" the gecko, but they burrow into those, and once in a while he does miss the cricket and get a mouthful of the stuff.

I bought some of that Astro-turf looking reptile carpet for half of the gecko cage, and I'll have more than a terrarium's worth left over.
Will it work for a cricket cage? Burrowing under it shouldn't be too problematic, I have lots of things to weight the edges. I know crickets can and will chew through a disturbing range of materials, though. I can hear them grating on the pine cones I've got in there now. Do you think a dozen large crickets will gnaw on this stuff to a degree that's problematic, if they're in there for a while? I see that it's a bit fall-apart-y already. :tongue3:

Visit our friends