Crickets too Big... What to do?

LoveMyLeo

So I made an error of judgement...

The last time I ordered crickets for my leo to feed on, they were too small and didn't seem to be satisfying him. I've been feeding him mealies for the last month or so with the occasional wax worm, but I want to introduce crickets and mix it up a little for him. I ordered bigger crickets this time, in bulk, and I'm pretty sure they're far too big for my little dude.

My leo is 6-7 months old and I ordered crickets that were 12-18mm, but these seem much bigger than that (unless I'm really not good at measuring!) I think I should have gone for the 8-12mm...

I don't know what to do... they're not native to the UK so I can't release them into the wild. Where can I go to sell them to other people who may need them? I don't want to feed my little guy anything that's going to cause problems. Is it best to contact the reptile centre I bought them from and see if they accept returns?

20151215_172407.jpg
20151215_173140.jpg

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Here are some choices:
--try to return them and get smaller ones
--read up on breeding crickets and use these as breeders
--if your gecko is a good sized 6-7 months, it may do fine with the bigger ones. Try one and see.

Aliza

Neon Aurora

I've fed my adults full grown Dubias (2-3 inches long). They are huge compared to what I normally feed, but they do fine. As long as your temperatures are correct, there isn't really a problem with larger prey items.

Discount Dubias

Dubias are not quite the same thing as crickets though, they are a lot softer and less exoskeleton. While I'm sure Leo is fine, you do want to be careful with what you feed them.

Visit our friends