do you need a permit in california to breed WC alligator lizards?

neubauer geckos

Anthony Neubauer
i am thinking about catching and breeding a pair of Alligator lizards.they are a very neat species,and i think that i would enjoy hatching some out.but do you need a permit?i know that the state limit is 2 without a permit.i just want to breed a pair.and if i have a permit to breed them,could i sell some overstock babies without a permit?and will the CBB babies count as keeping more than 2 like the state limit prohibits?i do not want to breed them solely for the money.i just don't want to have 5-20 babies.i would like to keep a pair of CBB alligators,but that's about it.thanks for any help on the matter.and how would i get a permit.

goReptiles

You would need to contact your state wildlife service for a permit, I believe. At 14, though, more than likely it would not be approved.

I second Jacob; I don't think you are allowed to sell native species. In a lot of states, you can't even have native species as pets. Some states are more lenient though; just check your state laws.

Taquiq

JK Herp
From California Herps.com, herp laws

Display of Sport Fishing License: Every person, while engaged in taking any fish, amphibian or reptile, shall display their valid sport fishing license by attaching it to their outer clothing at or above the waistline so that is is plainly visible....

You must have a Sport Fishing license to catch any reptile except rattle snakes.
So as Jacob said, you can only have 2 specimen but you also need a Sport Fishing License to catch and keep Alligator Lizards.

Visit our friends