doesnt seem to be eating?

Lala

hey guys

i recently got my first gecko on tuesday, but she doesnt seem to be eating? she has mealies in there and some little hoppers, as far as i know she has ate 2 hoppers since we got her but surely that cant be enough for a young gecko?? any help and suggestions is much welcomed!!

many thanks in advance
Lauren

Northstar Herp

Rhacs and Uros, oh boy!!!
Don't worry about it, yet. It's normal for them to not eat for a bit when they are moved to a new place. Once they get used to the new pad, the appetite should pick up.

That's assuming your husbandry is fine. What are the temps in their cage? What kind of heat are you using?

Lala

hey

i already posted about the heatin, as i only did have lights but i have now got the UTH :) we were warned that she may not eat for the first few days, i was just slightly worried as she has ate the first nite just not last nite, but thats prob me worrying too much :D

just one other thing, im feeding her mealies and hoppers but how often should i replace the mealies in her food bowl? and i have heard of people counting them to see how much is being ate?

many thanks

lauren :)

Northstar Herp

Rhacs and Uros, oh boy!!!
Bear in mind that I'm still a bit of a newbie myself, but I've had leos for a couple of years now. Other folks have much more wisdom than me...

I have read, and practice always having mealworms available, but the hoppers (crickets?) should be given a few at a time and not left in the tank cause they can be bitey.

Reptiles are funny things, they can endure outrageous things sometimes that would kill other critters. I have a buddy who hatched out some carpet pythons, and one of them didn't eat for the first seven months of it's life. It's still alive and just started eating recently...

Just be patient, they're not like dogs or cats.

Lala

nope they not crickets, apparently they feed on the geckos poo so it aint good for them... but hoppers are little tiny insects that cant bite, and only eat fruit or veg :)

CapCitySteve

I've had several geckos that went about a week or so without eating after shipping. One trick I've found is to jump start their digestive process by putting some yogurt on their nose. They'll lick it off right away. So give them a few dabs and then give them a day or so. Also make sure to hold them as little as possible and give them some time to adjust to their new surroundings. They'll perk up. Let me know if you need any more help or have other questions.

Steve

RampantReptiles

The crickets only eat gecko poo when they get hungry. The crickets shouldnt be left in the cage long enough to do this. Crickets eating gecko poo and in turn the gecko eating the crickets is how parasite problems start.

Curious what these little bugs are... I imagine they arent fruit flies? Those are way too small for leopard geckos. Are they actually called hoppers? Hoppers here in the states usually refers to small mice or rats that are in between baby and adult hood so I kinda freaked when you said hoppers. lol

Lala

The crickets only eat gecko poo when they get hungry. The crickets shouldnt be left in the cage long enough to do this. Crickets eating gecko poo and in turn the gecko eating the crickets is how parasite problems start.

Curious what these little bugs are... I imagine they arent fruit flies? Those are way too small for leopard geckos. Are they actually called hoppers? Hoppers here in the states usually refers to small mice or rats that are in between baby and adult hood so I kinda freaked when you said hoppers. lol

nope defo not mice or rats :main_laugh:

they are tiny, little grass hoppers! literally a few cm big! :)

so we have had her near a week now, and i think she has ate maybe 3/4 hoppers, 5 at most. we have got waxworms aswell now but she doesnt seem to be interested and we have the temp. at the advised. what the hell is wrong with my little girl? :( i really dont wana see her suffer :( please help

TheRed

She's still getting used to her new home. My first leo didn't eat for about two weeks after I first got her. She's not suffering and will probably start eating regularly soon.
Eric

Visit our friends