Dubia

Stl_Greaser

Has anyone been able to get their Crested's to eat Dubia roaches. My girlfriend bought our first Crestie, it is 2g, tailless, 13 weeks and was the runt of the litter cause it had not started eating any insects. I was going to try extra small Dubia and/or butter worms. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Brian.

Stl_Greaser

I am just trying to figure out how to put some weight on this little one as quick as possible. It had never eaten any insects and the other two from the same bunch are three times the size!

Could that also be cause the other two still have their tails?

Brian.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?jpufo4
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

marauderhex

Trust me, CGD will pack on the pounds. Some are slow growers. It's actually better for their health to grow slowly, rather than all at once.

ento890

While CGD should be their main diet, supplementing with insects will make them grow faster. I give crickets/dubia to my colony twice a week.

When I start off introducing insects, I use crickets. Some babies take a while to warm up to insects and won't eat off tongs. Dubias always bury themselves under my newspaper or paper towels, crickets don't. This way, the babies can see the insects and then once they recognize them, I'll use the dubia.

Stl_Greaser

I was just going to leave a few Dubia nymphs in a small bowl they can't climb out of in the terrarium at all times and change them out every day and see what happens. That way they can't burrow or hide under anything and they will be out in he open for Frog(new crestie's name) to be able to see.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?udbiin
Thanks,
Brian.

Sent from my iPhone4 using Tapatalk

Northstar Herp

Rhacs and Uros, oh boy!!!
Try the dubia, but feed them old CGD and you'll still be feeding the gecko CGD. They are what their prey eats.

Ashley is right, bugs in addition to CGD is a great way to get them to grow.

darkridder

Melissa the Scientist
CGD can be changed every other day, so yeah my left over CGD always goes into the roach bin.

With these guys fast growth doesnt = good growth. CGD will give them all the nutrition that they need, if you focus too much on insects yes they will grow faster however they can have more issues later on. But there is nothing wrong with offering a few crickets or dubia nymphs a week. Personally I dont offer insects until after the first few months of life, I prefer knowing that they are well established on CGD, and not all of their new homes will want to offer insects. And the idea of being small means it is the runt is not exactly true. There are several reasons for the difference in growth for these guys from genetics, temps, and food items. These guys are slow growers in general, it seems as if it takes forever for them to be 12g, then next thing you know your gecko is 25g in what seems like over night. So dont fret over the weight and age of your gecko, so long as you are actively seeing feces, youre safe.

Visit our friends