Eye problem.

T

Tsukiko

I'm having a problem with one of my gecko's lately. Recently one of his eyes has been completely shut and he won't open it. Well sometimes he'll open it but then he'll close it quickly after.
Two drops have fallen out of that eye.. and I've no idea what could be the matter with him. It doesn't look swollen or anything.
He hasn't been eating too good lately at all either... he's stopped eating meal worms about a month ago.

I've had him for five years, and two other geckos share the tank with him.

Any help would be appreciated.

Imperial Geckos

LIVE THE LIFE ™
pictures? you also mentioned that you have 2 other geckos in with him. what are the other 2 geckos? (species and sex)? you sure its not an injury from a fight?

Bongo

Back-woods Gecko
Yes, pictures would help. When my geckos have eye problems, here's what I do before bringing them to the vet. Leave him in a plastic shoebox w/lid filled with shallow warm water for 5-10 minutes. This should get him to open his eye. When he does, gently wipe the inside of and around the eye (you won't hurt him, they have several eyelids) with a wet Q-Tip to remove any old skin left behind. Flush the eye with saline solution and put him back into his enclosure. If he continues to shut his eye, he needs to see a vet. Is he eating at all?

Imperial Geckos

LIVE THE LIFE ™
Yes, pictures would help. When my geckos have eye problems, here's what I do before bringing them to the vet. Leave him in a plastic shoebox w/lid filled with shallow warm water for 5-10 minutes. This should get him to open his eye. When he does, gently wipe the inside of and around the eye (you won't hurt him, they have several eyelids) with a wet Q-Tip to remove any old skin left behind. Flush the eye with saline solution and put him back into his enclosure. If he continues to shut his eye, he needs to see a vet. Is he eating at all?

i never knew that, thanks lol

Bongo

Back-woods Gecko
No problem. My vet is very knowledgable about this species, and treats several of them. I call her any time I have a problem.

robin

also what kind of substrate is he kept on? (possible scratch from sand or something)

T

Tsukiko

Here is a picture of his eye:

http://i34.tinypic.com/k18h3d.jpg

Also, my other two: one is a fat tailed too and the other is a leopard gecko, I believe.

I don't think they fought at all. They get along really, really well, so...

And they live in a sand tank.

And he might have ate recently.. I bought some crickets last week and I think he ate a few of them.

Bongo

Back-woods Gecko
The one in the picture is a LEOPARD GECKO. In case one of your three is an African Fat-Tailed Gecko, this species cannot be housed on sand, nor with Leopard Geckos.
These are two completely different species. African Fat-Tailed Geckos require a much higher humidity than Leopard Geckos, and sand will not retain proper moisture. If the enclosure is kept humid enough for the fat tails, the Leopard Gecko will suffer respitory problems. If the tank is kept dry enough for the Leopard Gecko, the fat tails will suffer respitory and shedding problems.
Leopard Geckos housed on sand often suffer from impaction. They ingest the sand while hunting. He may even have sand in his eye.
As I said in my last post, Leave him in a plastic shoebox w/lid filled with shallow warm water for 5-10 minutes. This should get him to open his eye. When he does, gently wipe the inside of and around the eye (you won't hurt him, they have several eyelids) with a wet Q-Tip to remove any old skin left behind. Flush the eye with saline solution and put him back into his enclosure. If he continues to shut his eye, he needs to see a vet. Is he eating at all?

Last edited:

Visit our friends