Eye Problems

CthulhusKingdom

My leopard gecko had some shed stuck over her eye, which forced her to keep her eye closed. I kept her wet hide most and put some more rough things in her tank for her to rub against in Hope's she could get it off herself, but after a few days the shed was still on her eye. So finally I gave her a soak, then very gently rubbed the shed away with a cotton swabs.

As soon as she opened her eye, there was a watery, milk like substance that came out. After a minute or so she blinked it away, but it was startling.

Now her eye still looks a bit upset, but it is open now. Is there anyway I could treat this at home, with gently flushing out her eye and maybe some Terramycin? Or should I go straight to a vet? I'm low on money right now, but please let me know if trying to treat it at home would be stupid.
Sorry for the bad pictures...

Attachments

• 20210828_020254.jpg
    20210828_020254.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 5
  • 20210828_020238.jpg
    20210828_020238.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 5

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Next time the shed gets stuck, your best bet is to use your fingernails or tweezers to get it off. Q-tips and rubbing usually doesn't do much. See if your gecko will let you look at the eye with a magnifying glass to be sure all the shed is really gone. If not, go for the tweezers. Give it a few days to recover and see if the eye improves. You can rinse it by dipping your (clean) finger in warm water and putting a drop in the eye.

Aliza

Visit our friends