Feeders other than crickets?

Samajade

Just wondering if there is anything else these guys can be fed as a staple besides crickets? I assume they can eat dubia roaches instead (yes?) - but is there anything that one can feed them as a staple that's not an insect? One of the various types of worms, for example, or is this an idiotic question because they are insectivores and, so, need only insects?

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I assume you're talking about leopard geckos, in which case they can also eat mealworms, superworms, phoenix worms, silkworms and possibly hornworms.

Aliza

T-ReXx

Uroplatus Fanatic
Yes, leopard geckos can be fed all of the prey items Aliza mentioned, as well as various species of roach(dubia, lateralis, discoid, etc). And fyi, "worms" (supers, mealies, pheonix, hornworms, silks) are all insects species, just larval forms.

T-ReXx

Uroplatus Fanatic
Edit: I just saw this was in the fattie section. African Fat tails can eat super, meal, wax, pheonix, horn, and silk worms but sometimes it can be difficult switching them over. Most prefer crickets and/or roaches. It all depends on the individual gecko.

Samajade

Aliza - no, am talking about a fat-tail, not a leopard. I was actually going to post in the leopard section because it's a bit busier, but thought it best to post here in the fat-tail section to make sure any answers were specific to fatties.

T-ReXx, Okay, thanks! Is there one type of worm "better" for them (I'll try that first) and what is their general care like?
And fyi, "worms" (supers, mealies, pheonix, hornworms, silks) are all insects species, just larval forms.
:blush: I wish I would have thought that through before I wrote it. I had to have known that somewhere in my head, I just had to have. :main_laugh: (That being said, is there worry, then, of them turning into said insect before you get to feed them??)

T-ReXx

Uroplatus Fanatic
As long as they're properly gutloaded, mealworms, superworms, and silk worms are generally better as a "staple" diet than horns. Mealies and silks can pupate if kept warm, but mealies do well in the fridge long term for storage and won't pupate, and superworms generally won't pupate unless you seperate them individually. If you mean general care of the worms, it's pretty easy. For both mealies and supers a substrate of wheat bran, uncooked plain oatmeal, or pretty much any dry plain bran cereal will do, provide a water source in the form of vegatable slices(I use potatoes and carrots). Gutload for 24 hours prior to feeding using a quality insect gutload or a home made mix of fresh veggies, brans, multivitamin supplement etc. Mealies can be stored in the fridge for several months. Silkworm care is a bit more complicated, they will only eat mulberry leaves or a commercial silkworm "chow." Most dealers sell all you need to care for them. I would try mealworms first, as they're the most likely to be taken, followed by supers and then silks.

Samajade

Thanks so much Ted. Any thoughts about Phoenix worms? Supposedly they have a much high cal/phos ratio (no IDEA what that means) as well as substantially higher calcium overall. And, they are, if I read correctly, soft rather than hard - not so sure if a really hard worm is a problem for my fattie or if it doesn't matter.

Also, she's just about 13 weeks old - is she limited in what types/sizes she can eat?

T-ReXx

Uroplatus Fanatic
Size has more to do with prey selection that weight. A gecko that young shouldn't be quite ready for full sized supers/horns/silks yet, I'd stick to mealworms or perhaps smaller sized superworms. Prey should always bee no longer than the width of the geckos head as a general rule.

Pheonix worms are good feeders but in all reality I think what you're gutloading with and supplementing with is more important than Ca/Phos ratios of the actual insect and all that. After all, those ratios change with gut content. I also have had very limited success getting any of my animals to eat Pheonix worms, the fat tails refused them flat-out and all but a few leos weren't interested.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I have had my fat tail adults eat superworms occasionally and some of the juvies would eat mealworms but fatties seem to be famous for preferring crickets, and maybe roaches too but I don't feed those.

Aliza

spykerherps

-sssSpyker ExoticSsss-
my fatties are quit picky as well they have never liked worms(mealies or supers) they have always preferred crickets , I got them switched over to roaches a couple years ago though and they love them now.

T-ReXx

Uroplatus Fanatic
I have had my fat tail adults eat superworms occasionally and some of the juvies would eat mealworms but fatties seem to be famous for preferring crickets, and maybe roaches too but I don't feed those.

Aliza

That's pretty much true. Most Afts don't like worms, and can be difficult to switch over. That being said, the switch from crickets to roaches is a lot easier, and some fatties will eat worms eventually. I have 4 African Fat tail hatchlings from this season who are eating mealworms, the rest are all eating roach nymphs, with the adults eating roaches with the occassional super.

Samajade

Just out of curiousity and nothing to do directly with this thread (sorry!), but is it as simple as what they are raised on? I assume your hatchlings have only had mealworms? (Meaning, not started on crickets.) Or is that even some hatchlings will refuse worms and eat only crickets?

It's so interesting to me - as I'd assume they don't eat just one kind of insect in the wild.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I have tried mealworms with nearly all my hatchlings when they were pretty young, especially if I ran out of crickets or didn't have any small enough. The last 3 I tried them with, only 1 would eat them.

Aliza

Grogshla

i have always just fed my gecko crickets. Some species can eat worms etc but i know that my species has trouble digesting these and are therefore prone to suffering from compaction. I have had my marbled velvet gecko for nearly 3 years and he is big, healthy and active.

Samajade

But, just to be clear, fat-tails are not one of those species prone to compaction? Completely safe to feed worms to her IF she'll eat them, yes?

Visit our friends