First Hatchling... Bit Worried About Her

cowana

My first baby hatched today from my Hypo ph Tremper male x Super Hypo ph Tremper female. She incubated at 81F for 50 days. I saw she was hatched early this morning but was still close to the egg and still had a yolk sack, so I left her be in the incubator to try to absorb it. Checked on her later that night and she hadn't absorbed her yolk sack but had broken away from it. It was in a large glob in the egg. She is tiny... Smaller than any hatchling I have ever seen before (maybe 1.5" nose to tail tip), so I am thinking a premie? I moved her into the hatchling rack set at 92F with a moist paper towel hide, small water dish, and bottle cap of pure calcium. She is fiesty and fully formed (other than yolk sack), so that is good. Guess there isn't anything else I can do but hope she does thrive.

601e5b6389188db26574098cf7d3bbbf.jpg

3910f369096856e3fe35558d84f9099a.jpg

Last edited:

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Congrats! The problem with leaving a new hatchling in the incubator if it has a yolk sac attached is that the incubation material gets all over the yolk sac and it dries out or gets caught on something. In general, when I have hatchlings with yolk sacs I put them in the tub and keep the bottom misted so the sac can kind of slide along. I've had hatchlings with yolk sacs drop them and do fine.

Aliza

cowana

Thanks! She seems to be doing well despite being so tiny. I have left her alone except to change her paper towels, they were a bit smelly from were she got some egg on the moist towels. Once she has her first shed and poop I am going to try feeding her a couple roach nymphs. [emoji4]

Her clutchmate was born tonight. She is about an inch longer and had no yolk sack when she hatched. Excited to watch them both develop! [emoji3]

Visit our friends