First of the season didnt make it

RampantReptiles

As stated... I checked the incubator and noticed one of the eggs that was due to hatch was all deflated so I assumed there was a little one running around.

Opened up the incubator and didnt see a baby so I picked up the egg and I could feel the baby still inside. I notice there was a little hole so I am not sure if this was an accident or if the baby started to come out. So I gently pulled open the egg to find a fully formed baby with the yolk still attached.
Color was kind of pale/grey for what looked to be a Mack snow tremper. I tried rubbing its back for a while, removed the yolk and rubbed some more with no reaction. I am guessing it was dead for a while. I didnt get to check the icubator the night before because I came home really late so it might have been sitting there for an entire day. Not sure if I had checked if there was anything I could have done.

I have never had this happen to me before, usually they make it out of the egg and are either fine or die within a couple days. Hopefully things will turn out better for the clutchmate and I will have my first baby of the season. And I will make sure to check the incubator more often! :(

sunshinegeckofarm

Obsessed with Leos
im sorry about your loss. unfortunately this year i have had that exact thing happen to me more than once with a few times the babies being alive still but i have noticed alot of problems with those trying to come out of the eggs this year that i have never experienced before.

Mel&Keith

Mod Squad Member
That sucks. I don't know if catching it sooner would have made a difference or not so definitely don't beat yourself up about it. Usually they ones who pip and aren't strong enough to make it out of the egg on their own aren't strong enough to make it with your help either. Hopefully a big healthy baby comes flying out of the other egg!

Visit our friends