First Shedding @ Our House

KensonPlays

Chomper is going through his first shedding at his new place with us as of tonight, saw a peek of him with lighter colored skin today. He is 4.5 months old, and still has all his toes, so I'm assuming the store would help with the shedding if needed, but he still seems skittish around me even after 2 weeks. If he needs help with stuck shed on his toes, I don't want him losing his tail if he's stressed out. How would I go about preventing any potential tail loss, and making sure the shed was 100% successful?

I know problematic areas are the toes, tail, and head.

indyana

Prevention like misting sides of cage or putting a damp paper towel in the warm hide can help (don't spray gecko, it can cause skin to stick).

If there is stuck shed after a few days time, doing a gecko sauna can loosen it up (Google gecko sauna and let me know if you have questions). You don't have to remove it unless it is fully constricting an area like an entire toe encased and not just the nail or the tail tip.

KensonPlays

Prevention like misting sides of cage or putting a damp paper towel in the warm hide can help (don't spray gecko, it can cause skin to stick).

If there is stuck shed after a few days time, doing a gecko sauna can loosen it up (Google gecko sauna and let me know if you have questions). You don't have to remove it unless it is fully constricting an area like an entire toe encased and not just the nail or the tail tip.
Every couple days I get the substrate wet (coconut fiber); following the shops advice for how they did it themselves; and every day I'll do a light misting of the top layer to keep it a bit damp, including misting the moss that's in his humid hide.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I have found that leopard geckos are not so prone to drop their tails just because they're nervous about being picked up. There's always a chance but it hasn't happened to me in the hundreds of geckos I've owned and produced in the past 15 years.

Aliza

KensonPlays

First shed at our new house was a success! I checked about 44 hours or so after I noticed he was starting, did not see any stuck shed on his toes, tail, or head, or anywhere for that matter. He also ate 4 medium mealworms and 6 small dubia roaches. I would say he's fairing pretty well and healthy.

Visit our friends