First SIM hatch

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
My first season with the reptipro5000 and SIM has finally begun with an AFT hatch at 61 days incubated at 82/83. That's about a week or so less time than last season with the hovobator. This one did hatch with the yolk sac, but seems lively and healthy. It's a stripe from stripe x normal. No picture yet, but it looks like . . . a fat tail.

Aliza

Khrysty

My first season with the reptipro5000 and SIM has finally begun with an AFT hatch at 61 days incubated at 82/83. That's about a week or so less time than last season with the hovobator. This one did hatch with the yolk sac, but seems lively and healthy. It's a stripe from stripe x normal. No picture yet, but it looks like . . . a fat tail.

Aliza

lol that's a good thing for it to look like >.<

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
congrats.. good to hear success with this been having doubts.what substrate did you use and what ratio to water?

I used perlite and probably put 2-3 cups of water in there. I started with 1:1 perlite to water but that's not nearly enough.

Aliza

Dpgunns

Did you have to drill any holes in the lid of the sim? if so how many and what size? also what has been your hatch rates?
Thanks

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I have not had to drill any holes. I have always preferred to keep my egg containers without holes and to open them up every week. I'm just starting to hatch, but here's what's going on so far (I think I posted the AFT numbers in another thread:

14 AFT eggs laid so far from two first-timers.
Of these: 2 hatched
5 already gone bad. The first 2 were probably fertile but I was still getting used to the SIM; the other 3 were one from each clutch of this first-timer
7 still in the incubator and 5 of them look good

13 leopard gecko eggs laid
2 gone bad so far, one of which was a single egg from a first-timer that never looked good; the others look good with first hatch expected in about a week.

Aliza

Visit our friends