Gecko Newbie

Wyspie

Hello from Oklahoma! I just got my first leopard gecko a few weeks ago, and I never knew how much I could love a lizard! She's still a baby, maybe just two months old-ish. I have watched SO many videos to try and learn how to care for her. I have learned that leopard geckos come from the Middle East, so I thought that she should have a good Arabic name. I have named her Halimah (Gentle) Fahada (Leopardess) Golightly. That makes her Hali Golightly to friends and family. I'm not sure how many of you will get that. ;) She's already spoiled rotten, and I think that she knows it. Those big eyes, and that leopard gecko smile...how could anyone not adore her? I hope to learn more from all of you so that she can have the best possible gecko life! HalimahFahadaGolightly1.jpg

Wyspie

Welcome! They are really designed to get our emotions going with that perpetual smile and those big eyes!

Aliza
That's for sure, and Miss Hali is using her skills to charm the heck right out of me. I've even gotten up through the night just to go peek at her sweet little face. <3

ravensgeckos

Hello and welcome! They are such captivating and cute little lizards- my lot are my babies too. Don’t know what I would do without them. Halimah is gorgeous, can’t wait to see how she grows

Wyspie

Hello and welcome! They are such captivating and cute little lizards- my lot are my babies too. Don’t know what I would do without them. Halimah is gorgeous, can’t wait to see how she grows
My little Hali is growing like a weed! I'll definitely keep posting pictures as she gets bigger. I think she's going to be absolutely gorgeous. I also learned, this week, that she likes it when I sing to her. Since she is "Hali Golightly" I started singing Moon River while I was talking to her a few days ago. She stared at me with those big beautiful eyes and then quietly drifted off to sleep. I thought it was just a coincidence, but she has done the same thing 5 or 6 times now. I am so in love with her!!!

Rydikulus Reptiles

Hi! Welcome to the hobby! Your sweet girl is gorgeous!

Sadly there is a lot of misinformation about the proper care and husbandry of leopard geckos. Make sure you cross reference the information you've found, or consider joining a leopard gecko Facebook group or Discord server!

Your enclosure looks great from the picture provided. Just make sure you're feeding high-protein insects such as dubia roaches, and avoid high fat insects such as super worms. Make sure you provide calcium WITHOUT vitamin D3 to be left in a small cap in the enclosure so your gecko can lick at it when needed without overdosing on D3, and dust your insects with calcium WITH vitamin D3 to make sure they're getting small amounts of D3 with their meals (recommended every other feeding).

You seem to be doing good so far, your baby looks healthy and happy, but if you have any questions, don't hesitate to shoot me a DM! Also feel free to visit the Rydikulus Reptiles Facebook page! Our "Files" tab has a lot of valuable information on leopard gecko care and husbandry that is well organized and easy to understand!

-Rai

Visit our friends