Genetic Confusion

TOMMY1013

I'm really confused by the offspring I produced this year. Male - Blazing Blizzard and Female - Blizzard. Any ideas of what produced two completely different morphs and if you could identify what these two are. First photo is the parents. One on top is Blazing Blizzard and the one on the bottom is Blizzard.
IMG_20200626_095627234.jpg IMG_20200829_132508190.jpg IMG_20200913_122829715.jpg

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Both of your parent geckos are actually Mack snow. In all honesty, I don't think your non blazing "blizzard" is a blizzard at all, I think it's a Murphy's patternless which is het for albino (that's why you didn't get any blizzard offspring. Also the gecko is way too orange to be a blizzard). Here's what happened: You crossed a snow blizzard with a snow murphy's patternless. Your charcoal colored offspring is a super snow. It got a snow gene from each parent and did not get the albino gene from the patternless. It's het for albino, blizzard and patternless. Your other hatchling is a snow albino. It got the snow gene from one parent and the albino gene from both parents. It is also het for blizzard and patternless. How's that?

Aliza

TOMMY1013

Both of your parent geckos are actually Mack snow. In all honesty, I don't think your non blazing "blizzard" is a blizzard at all, I think it's a Murphy's patternless which is het for albino (that's why you didn't get any blizzard offspring. Also the gecko is way too orange to be a blizzard). Here's what happened: You crossed a snow blizzard with a snow murphy's patternless. Your charcoal colored offspring is a super snow. It got a snow gene from each parent and did not get the albino gene from the patternless. It's het for albino, blizzard and patternless. Your other hatchling is a snow albino. It got the snow gene from one parent and the albino gene from both parents. It is also het for blizzard and patternless. How's that?

Aliza
That is the best answer I have gotten so far. Thank you because now I have something to work off. It also explains why the third offspring looks completely different as well. IMG_20201026_025848497.jpg

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Yes, the third offspring looks to be a Mack Snow (if it hatched black and white) that's getting yellower. It's het for albino, blizzard and patternless.

Aliza

Visit our friends