Going to breed next year sometime, wondering what I might end up with?

Wynnie D

I have finally found the female I wanted for my small scale breeding experience, as I have wanted to do this for years now. I’m curious about what the odds are for certain traits to show up in the offspring.

1st Photo: My male, Toffee. I bought him at an expo as a young male, with a slight tail nip. I’ve had him for almost 2 years now, and he is a very pretty boy . I’m not SUPER familiar with genetics yet, so I know he is a harlequin with some Dalmatian spots. (If there’s any other traits you see that I am unaware of, please let me know! I am very curious...)

2nd Photo: My female, Butterscotch, whom I picked up at an expo this past weekend. She is most certainly NOT ready for breeding yet, but she should be in the next year or so, and I know they told me exactly what “morph” she is (I know cresties don’t technically have morphs, but it’s a term that’s still used), but I don’t remember what they said (If you know, please let me know!), and they told me her father had some Dalmatian spots as well, but she didn’t get any of that.

So bottom line here, I’m wondering

1: What traits in my geckos am I missing here?

2: What will most likely show up in their offspring?

Thanks for your time!

Best wishes, Wynnie

Attachments

• 14EEE682-78F1-4A95-96AF-39FA830319F1.jpeg
    14EEE682-78F1-4A95-96AF-39FA830319F1.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 3
  • E5CEE1A1-1A6F-4AA7-A1AF-1D962E6BF997.jpeg
    E5CEE1A1-1A6F-4AA7-A1AF-1D962E6BF997.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 3

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I'm responding here in case no one else does. It's my understanding that crested gecko genetics are not as straightforward as leopard gecko genetics, for example. I only got to do one season of crestie breeding before my collection became crypto positive, and I've given up on analyzing crestie morphs because they all look brown to me except when they're not! I can only say that since you have one with Dalmatian spots and one without, one with a pattern and one without, you're going to end up with offspring that have some or all of these traits. Here are a few Gecko Time articles that may help:

Aliza

Visit our friends