has anyone found any wild herps yet?

Jetfire

Has anyone found/photographed any wild herps yet this fine spring? Not counting a baby slider I scooped up out of the road (tossed it into a pond down the street),I saw my first 2 on a nice bike ride yesterday. I was just out, hitting the trails and wasting a day off when I came across these 2, within 5 minutes of each other..
First was a nice,3'+ eastern garter snake, then a chunky female yellow belly slider.. 2012-03-21_11-28-27_768.jpg 2012-03-21_11-38-20_544.jpg
That's a size 13 Adidas next to the turtle, for scale.

Amanda1

3 Year Member
I wish I'd run into some snakes and turtles... but I've found one tiny frog already this spring when I was out walking with my tortoise. He was about the size of my thumbnail! Didn't get a pic, but he was so small he wouldn't have shown up anyway.

I'm expecting lots more frogs. We always have tons of treefrogs in the summer and I haven't even heard one singing yet, so I guess they are still to come.

Jetfire

Winter was really mild here in charleston this year (only got below freezing like 3 times),and it's been in the 70's+ for the last month. I've been leaving the porch lights on for the tree frogs (already out and about) and the Mediterranean geckos that are everywhere. (Haven't seen them yet, just a matter of time )

Jetfire

Found this on the way to work today. I ride my bike to work most days, since gas is so freaking expensive,and there's some pretty cool trails in Charleston anyway. This guy was in the middle of the road, just soaking up the sun... 2012-04-03_15-29-34_266.jpg 2012-04-03_15-29-25_257.jpg
Its an eastern chain kingsnake,btw, about 3 1/2- 4' long. Never did try to bite, but I did smell quite musky until I got to work and washed my hands.

Amanda1

3 Year Member
Very cool! I'm a little jealous, we don't have many snakes where I live. I did find a nice size toad the other night, but forgot to take a picture.

Rylee

3 Year Member
Reminds me what happened Friday! I was walking and i stepped on a garter snake! It was too quick for me to grab though.

Josh2

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
Haven't seen any snakes yet this year. Was on the lookout for a tortoise at Joshua Tree National Park but no luck. I see lots of alligator lizards around here. Not many other herps though... :(

Jetfire

Found another one. Eastern glass lizard, a hair over 2' long. 2012-05-18_14-43-58_621.jpg
Not too terribly appreciative of being saved from the blacktop morgue, either.

Jetfire

Well, starting in july, i'll have to learn a whole new region's herpetofauna, when I move to phoenix. I cannot wait for dry heat, this humidity is ridiculous right now

Visit our friends