Hatch Rite Users!?

Double D

I have a gravid female. I'm getting everything set to go for some eggs. I have some HatchRite that came with my bator I got last spring. It has been sealed since. Will it still be good? Should I add some water to it? What should it feel like? Any info on this medium will be greatly appreciated. I'm a novice breeder so any help will be great. I tried last season but didn't have much luck. Hope to have better luck this time.

snowgyre

I asked the same question a few months ago but nobody could answer. I had a bag of hatchrite that I used last season and was sealed for 6 months and I wanted to know if it was still good. Well, 16 successful hatches later, I'd say it held its moisture content pretty good.

However, make sure the container you've got the eggs in has NO ventilation holes. I've found much greater hatching success with no ventilation holes. I just make sure I open the container twice a week to allow for air exchange.

Also, just because my hatchrite bag held moisture doesn't mean yours will. There's always risk associated with using old hatchrite, and if your eggs start to dimple you'll have to add water anyway.

Mel&Keith

Mod Squad Member
Hatchrite feels really dry anyway so it may be hard to tell if yours has dried out or not. If you feel like it has dried out try adding just a couple drops of water to the incubation container or giving it a light mist. You just have to be careful no to add too much water.

Double D

Thanks Guys! I felt of it last spring when I got it and it still feels about the same as it did then. So hopefully I'll be good to go.

Visit our friends