Hatching Gecko eggs

jfenton954

I have a pair of high quality giant day gecko's that I'm hoping are male and female. If they are male and female and begin to lay eggs, since I've heard that temps usually determine sex. Would it be possible to have two incubators with one set on the lowest possible setting and one with the highest setting to generally guess what possible sex they would be?

jfenton954

Well I asked because the breeder I got my giant day geckos from said he hatched them at temps for a 50/50 ratio... I'm just wondering why he does that?

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
If you only want to have to use 1 incubator, you can incubate at temperatures in the middle range in which case you'll get about a 50/50 mix of males and females (no guarantee, though). If you want certain eggs or a certain number of eggs to have more of a guarantee to be either male or female, you'd get the best result by having one incubator running at the low end of the range to get females and the other running at the high end to get males. I have one incubator running at 83 which will give me females of most of my species, but (hopefully) male gargoyles, and my other incubator at 76 to get me female gargs,.

Aliza

jfenton954

Oh ok. Do crested geckos attach their eggs to something? If so how do you get the eggs out?

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
They do not glue their eggs to anything. They will bury their eggs (if your cage doesn't have a place to bury eggs, you'll have to prepare one). Once they bury, dig up the eggs and put them in the incubator without changing which end is up (crestie eggs can be incubated at room temperature, if you don't want to use an incubator as long as the temp doesn't change tremendously)

ALiza

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
They are not gluers. They will be more likely to find a crevice in the plants if you have plants, or inside a bamboo tube if you have that. Since they are arboreal, I believe they are less likely to bury their eggs. You could always tape a piece of bamboo up near the top of the cage and see if they'll lay in there. Then you can get the eggs out of the bamboo to incubate, or even put the whole thing into the incubator if you're worried about disturbing the eggs.

Aliza

Josh2

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
When are you expecting the eggs? Any updates for us yet??

jfenton954

Not for a very long time!!! I have two sub adults so not sure if I even have a male and female. Waiting to see what sexes they are then go from there. Just trying to get educated as much as possible in preparation well before any eggs so I can be ready to care for them properly.

jfenton954

I've been away for a bit but I have 3 hatchlings so far with 5 eggs in the incubator!! Looking to sell if anyone is interested. Crimson Giant Day Gecko's

Visit our friends