Heating again

AndyBunn

Does anybody else have this experience.

I use a ceramic bulb attached to a micro climate ministat 100 set at 32°c. I haven't changed this setting for months and the thermometer checks I do range from 30 to 33°c. Then occasionally for no understandable reason I start getting readings of 40°c. The cool side is a constant 23°c.

This is puzzling me.

Happy gecko day to you all.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I don't really know either, but here's a possibility. If the mini-stat is an on/off thermostat as opposed to a proportional thermostat, it may end up overheating before it turns off and then the heat goes back down till it turns on. Is it possible that there are other times that it gets up that high but you just aren't looking then (not really familiar with the device, so I'm just guessing).

Aliza

AndyBunn

Hi Aliza

It's an on /off thermostat. I will do some random checks to see if it is over heating before it goes off.

I think that maybe I'm needlessly worrying to much.

Thanks for your help.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
If it gets too hot, the gecko will move. One advantage of having a large collection (currently 48, down from 70) is that it's hard to worry about each and every one too much.

Aliza

AndyBunn

If it gets too hot, the gecko will move. One advantage of having a large collection (currently 48, down from 70) is that it's hard to worry about each and every one too much.

Aliza
Wow Aliza that's a lot of Geckos. I only have one. How do you have the time?

Andy

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I'm very organized! When I was breeding (and working full time and the kids were still at home) I'd be up in the 90's of geckos at peak hatching season and right before the shows. Getting smaller has been a relief.

Aliza

AndyBunn

You'd need to be!

I couldn't manage that many but I guess it must be fun breeding and going to shows.

There don't seem to be many shows where I live. Recently there's been a show once a year in a city thirty miles away. It's not bad but I've only seen Phasmids and Tarantulas.

I bet you have a bit more time now.

Andy

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I have a huge amount more time because COVID led me to semi-retire. But I also have a huge amount of projects, so I'm not just sitting around.

Aliza

Visit our friends