Heating

anihilus

I have a terrarium that is 100x50x50 cm. It is placed in a room with approximately 22° celsius. I have 2 leopard geckos in it. I have a heat mat covering 1/3 of the ground, heating the ground up to 35° celsius. The air temperature is now approximately 24° celsius, whitch is a bit low.
So here is my question:
What kind of heat lamp would you recommend? I would prefer to have ONE lamp giving of uv AND heat.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I find 22C (approx. 71F) to be more than adequate an air temperature for leopard geckos. If they feel too cold, they can go into their warm side hide and be warmer. Although some leopard geckos do tend to bask, if your leopard gecko is inside the hide during all daytime hours, the UV will not benefit it. I'm a bit worried that a heat lamp will raise the temperature to the point where the gecko will dehydrate, but I'll leave it to others who use lamps with their geckos to advise about a specific product.

Aliza

anihilus

I find 22C (approx. 71F) to be more than adequate an air temperature for leopard geckos. If they feel too cold, they can go into their warm side hide and be warmer. Although some leopard geckos do tend to bask, if your leopard gecko is inside the hide during all daytime hours, the UV will not benefit it. I'm a bit worried that a heat lamp will raise the temperature to the point where the gecko will dehydrate, but I'll leave it to others who use lamps with their geckos to advise about a specific product.

Aliza
Good point! They DO tend to lay in their cave all day, so UV-light isn't doing them much good. As long as they get vitamins and calsium, that is proberbly not an issue anyway?

indyana

The only bulbs that currently exist for heat + UVB are a bit too powerful for leopard geckos generally. While I sometimes supplement my geckos with low wattage UVB fluorescents, it isn't required for their health as long as you supplement with calcium + D3.

I'd observe them and see how they do. If you're in the northern hemisphere, summer and warmer ambient temps are on their way. If even in summer, your geckos are huddling in their warm hides for warmth constantly, then you could think about adding additional heat.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I noticed tonight that this thread was originally placed in the "classified" section, so I moved it to "leopard geckos general husbandry". It's a good idea to make sure you're in the correct subforum when you post so people will know to look at your post.

Aliza

Visit our friends