Help identifying gecko with an odd story.

vonedaddy

I have never kept geckos and have no experience with them so please be patient with me, I can use your help.

Back Story Setup:
My cousin owns a bakery in Philadelphia, PA USA. It is a warm February day about 43 degrees Fahrenheit.

I get a phone call from my cousin and he says that he found a lizard in the machinery of one of his refrigerators, which is VERY odd for this region (no lizards in big city). So I ask him to send me a photo (see below) and sure enough it is a gecko. The thing is tiny, about an inch and a half total. It looks sick and is barely moving. I went and bought a 5 gallon tank, substrate, red 25w heat lamp and fake plants for the tank. Threw in the smallest crickets I can find and ran the plastic plant under water and left it wet when I put in the tank.

So now I started reading about geckos and it seems like they all need different care. Some liking trees and some liking caves.

I would like to care for this lizard as best I can, but in order to do so I need to know what kind of Gecko it is. The people at the pet store couldn't tell me, but they said it "looks like" a common house gecko.

Here are the pictures and ANY help would be appreciated. 12736166_1699569143666248_1648186403_n.jpg 241.jpg

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Welcome to GF! Yes, it does look like a common house gecko, which is what it is about 90% of the time someone finds one of these in the open. It may have arrived with some supplies your cousin received from Florida or another tropical place. I have actually heard stories (can't verify, though) of colonies of house geckos living in row houses in Baltimore. You're best bet is to google "house gecko care" (I checked that out and there's tons of stuff) and read the care sheets. There's even a youtube video! Good luck with it.

Aliza

Visit our friends