Help Needed Please

Jade Icing

Ok so I could be overreacting but we have had so much loss in our family the last year that I am paranoid. Comes with having a large animal family.

We got our AFT on October 2nd. I for the life of me can not recal from who we got s/he but do know where the paticurlar breeder was located. They said she had hatched sometime in Aug. They had a few juvi together and lots of other reptiles.

It has only been about two weeks and I do know that the first week she ate some not a huge amount but wasn't concerned since she was new. She had pooped and peed several times. The last week she seems to be eatting less. I weighed her on the 8th and she weighed 6grams. She went up to 7 and seemed to be tipping towards 8. I know not much but wanted to make sure she wasn't dropping. She was nice and round and than seemed to have lost some roundness.

Ugh I have never delt with a gecko so young so not sure what is normal for them. Not sure I want to after this I will stick to them being sub-adult to adult.

Her set-up:
UTH
Calcium w/out D3
hot/humid/cold hide being kept on carpet as of the last week. Had her on papertowels the first week. (could this bother her?)

Taking temp now but last check was 89. I mist twice a day for the tank and humid hide once every day. Should I do more or less. It isn't a huge amount just a spray on the side of the tank.

She has food at all time. She is drinking. I have watched her do that.

She also seems to open her mouth a bit. My brother was watching her and that she seemed to be staring up with her mouth open. I texted him for better details.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
The little guys should really eat every day. I had issues with some of my hatchlings who would stop for awhile, visibly start losing weight like crazy, and then just pick it up again. One thing to do would be to pick her up, hold her in 1 hand and gently press a cricket against her mouth till she bites. She may take it that way and often it starts them up again. I've done it successfully a few times with mealworms even though the worms aren't what they normally eat. The floor temps could be a bit higher too. As long as she's active (for a AFT) and alert there's not too much to worry about. There is a chance (and only a chance, so don't freak out) that the open mouth posture is due to a respiratory infection, so if it continues and goes on for longer at a time a vet visit may be needed.

Aliza

Jade Icing

The open mouth isn't constant. I will keep an eye on that.

The tempature was 91 when we took it earlier. I could put a lamp to add heat if need be. Tried mealworms to her mouth but not much. Will try crickets.

Should I mist less to be on the safe side?

Jade Icing

Well one of my regular exotic vets is on tonight so left a message if it isn't busy she will give me a buzz. If not I will call again tomorrow first thing.

Jade Icing

Vet visit tomorrow at 4pm. I mashed some crickets and mixed it with some pedialyte. Got two syringes into her. Just let it make drop on her lips and she licked up. With a tweezer I got half a mealworm into her.

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
Hopefully you get the answers you need. Sending good vibes your way. Please let us know what the vet says.

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
I see from your signature you and Ihave a lot of the same interestes. I had the hardest time deciding between BTS and leo (how are BTS as pets by the way if you don't mind me asking) , and I also raise show rabbits.

Jade Icing

No way! Wow. BTS are amazing. I could be a bit bias. I have had her almost 7 years and she has come a long way. She didn't have the best start. I adore her. She is my baby. What kind of show rabbits?

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
Currently just breeding netherland dwarfs, but was at one point doing french lops, netherlands and flemish giants. You can see our web page here at

Check out this cutie:
357304070789-A1Qqd.jpeg

One of my latest babies who should be a good show competitor.

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
I have like 21 rabbits right now. 1 french lop (who hs the best temperament and has become a really nice pet), 1 rescue mini rex netherland cross, 12 adult nd's and 7 babies under 2 mos old. The rabbitry is a bit full :)

Jade Icing

Soo... Not respitory needs some weight but not at a danger level. She witnessed the mouth thing and said she wonders if is a behavior thing. She said to continue what I am doing and to try bringing up the temp on the tank. Bring a fresh stool sample asap to rule out parasites.

She also said if she didn't know that Harli wasn't eatting she would think there was nothing wrong. She is alert and active. :)

Jade Icing

So things haven't changed. She won't eat on her own. Hasn't really grown. We couldn't get a fresh stool sample so we treated to be on the safe side. So at this point everything that could be done has been. Waiting on a call from the vet and we will go from there. We are thinking it may be time to let go.

Desdemona

Hope all stays well with her. Just wanted to say that I know how you feel. I have had a lot of pets in the rodent world and with their fast metabolism it doesn't take much sometimes to do them in. They also live shorter lives so I've had plenty of dead pets (though thankfully most have lived to their full potential). I can be a paranoid pet owner too.

Visit our friends