hep wanted (with enclosure and temperatures)

kgb785

Hi! i own a african fat tailed gecko. he/she is my first reptile. i haven’t sexed it yet because it is only 6 months old and that’s too young to be determined as research has told me. i’m debating the setup. the temp on the hot spot stays at around 95-97 degrees fahrenheit (which is 35-36 celsius) depending on the time of day. the humidity stays at 60% to 70%. the cold spot is around 77-80 degrees fahrenheit (which is 25-26 celsius). it has repticarpet only because my house stays on the colder side and i noticed that the eco earth mix doesn’t hold heat like it should just in my case so i put repticarpet to help with the heating of the hot spot. there is plenty of room for him/her to dig. i also have a heat lamp on the cool side during the day (around 2:30) to help with keeping the temp up during the day and turn it off about 5:30 every afternoon. so is there anything i should change? (i can add pics of the enclosure if wanted)

Herpin Man

How are you heating it? 90-92f should be sufficient.
I am trying to picture your substrate. You’ve got carpet on top of eco earth? Personally I don’t think carpet belongs in herp enclosures. It gets filthy and is difficult to clean.
I also would not heat the cool side.

kgb785

How are you heating it? 90-92f should be sufficient.
I am trying to picture your substrate. You’ve got carpet on top of eco earth? Personally I don’t think carpet belongs in herp enclosures. It gets filthy and is difficult to clean.
I also would not heat the cool side.
i have an under the tank heat pad . there’s repti carpet. underneath the hot cave and only there. dirt is everywhere else.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I really don't think you need the extra heat on the cool side. In my opinion (others may differ) as long as the ambient temperature is comfortable for humans, it's fine for the gecko. If it gets too cold on the cool side, then the gecko will spend more time on the hot side and the hide will trap hot air so inside the hide it will always be warm enough.

Aliza

NearMeGeckos

Instead of carpet, switch it out for some non adhesive under counter lining. It comes in a variety of natural colors, Super easy to clean, and you can get it for cheep. Try Walmart, they have it. Get a thermostat for the heat pad. As @Herpin Man said, 90-92 is sufficient.

kgb785

Instead of carpet, switch it out for some non adhesive under counter lining. It comes in a variety of natural colors, Super easy to clean, and you can get it for cheep. Try Walmart, they have it. Get a thermostat for the heat pad. As @Herpin Man said, 90-92 is sufficient.
i have a thermostat. and i will try walmart

Visit our friends