Hooking up a thermostat to a rack system?

JordanAng420

Okay, so if i'm going to spend an arm and a leg on a nice rack system, and a thermostat to go with it, I'd like to know how one goes about hooking up a thermostat to a rack with 15 tubs. Surely I don't need 15 thermostats. How do I get the thing to work for all 15 tubs? Where on earth am I supposed to put the little probe? I'd like to know before I go and order it.

Tony C

Wayward Frogger
Wire the thermostat to a power strip, plug the heat tape into it and tape the probes to the heat tape on the middle shelf.

fuzzylogix

Carpe Diem
heat tape cable plugged directly into thermostat...
2wp5lpz.jpg

therm probe taped directly to tape, middle shelf...
j802l1.jpg

my adjustable DIY rack...
348hiqh.jpg

JordanAng420

Alrighty then, thank you both very much. I will be recruiting a friend of mine who is much more versed in electronics and wiring to do this for me, i think. This is the rack that i'm buying...

http://www.boaphileplastics.com/rhinoraxx_15_clear_sweater.html

I will also be purchasing their thermostat as well. Is this a nice rack for hatchlings? I like the fact that the front is clear, and it's a "sleek" looking rack that will look nice in my herp room.

Mel&Keith

Mod Squad Member
You're buying a pre-wired thermostat, right? I'm not sure if that rack already has a place designated to place the probe but you might ask them about that. We use back heat but we drilled a hole though the top of our rack at the back to place the probe right in front of the heat tape. Once you find a place for your probe you just plug the rack into the thermostat's power strip and plug that into the wall.

Those sweater box tubs are pretty big - 16" long 10 3/4" Wide 3 3/4" Tall. I think you might be better off with their shoe box tub rack for hatchlings - 12 1/2" long 6 3/4" Wide 3 3/4" Tall.

Visit our friends