How can i improve heat valence very hot and cold aress?

gimpygecko

I have a glass fronted wooden vivarium 3ft in length set up currently with a deep heat lamp 50 watts at the hot end controlled by a habistat dimming thermometer and an arcadia uvb mini t5 shadedweller fitted. At the moment I am struggling to get difference of 1 -1.5°c between the hot and cold ends of the tank. I am only using reptile carpet at the moment as substrate with a simple slate environment. I am planning to move to a more bioactive construction soon using arid earthmix etc. Firstly will this help increase the temperature variance? Eg more plant matter etc to block heat. Is there also anything else i can do to increase the differential in the meantime? I understand the variance should ideally be more than <2° Humidity levels are fine atm and kept generally between 30% - 40% as recommended. I am new to gecko ownership so any advice would be extremely helpful.

Attachments

• IMG_20220820_153735.jpg
    IMG_20220820_153735.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 6

BLUSH50

I have a glass fronted wooden vivarium 3ft in length set up currently with a deep heat lamp 50 watts at the hot end controlled by a habistat dimming thermometer and an arcadia uvb mini t5 shadedweller fitted. At the moment I am struggling to get difference of 1 -1.5°c between the hot and cold ends of the tank. I am only using reptile carpet at the moment as substrate with a simple slate environment. I am planning to move to a more bioactive construction soon using arid earthmix etc. Firstly will this help increase the temperature variance? Eg more plant matter etc to block heat. Is there also anything else i can do to increase the differential in the meantime? I understand the variance should ideally be more than <2° Humidity levels are fine atm and kept generally between 30% - 40% as recommended. I am new to gecko ownership so any advice would be extremely helpful.
What's the room temp? Will need to be about 10° cooler than the warm side temp.

Bring the probes down a little bit closer(about an inch)to the ground and see what you get?

Last edited:

Sphex

Some thoughts on it. I'm not sure how long the tanks been setup, but assuming thats black slate in the tank it could balance out more simply with time. Far as my more recent research has shown though I've not had experience yet with the concept. As Deep heat lamps run over the course of a few days weeks maybe not entirely sure on the length. Those rocks will build up warmth and then kind of act as a heat pad.

One option you could try. A second pulse thermostat and a simple ceramic lamp to try and balance out the cool side to a slightly warmer temp. I was pondering that on my 4ft tank but doesn't really seem to need it. The cool side sits at about 77F.

Other possible option would be add some airflow to circulate the warmer air. Wouldn't want anything too strong but I've seen computer case fans used in such a way.

Visit our friends