how do you install flexwatt on a wire rack system

tlbowling

Geck~OCD
OK, I have my breeding rack, and I have my flexwatt heat tape. I've ordered the herpstat thermostat...now Im about to install the heat tape.

I have a wire shelf rack system, and My question is what do I line the shelves with to tape the flexwatt to? Someone suggested cardboard, but that sounds like a fire hazard to me? Is cardboard OK, or are there safer suggestions?

roger

OK, I have my breeding rack, and I have my flexwatt heat tape. I've ordered the herpstat thermostat...now Im about to install the heat tape.

I have a wire shelf rack system, and My question is what do I line the shelves with to tape the flexwatt to? Someone suggested cardboard, but that sounds like a fire hazard to me? Is cardboard OK, or are there safer suggestions?

Are u geting the grounded herpstat ?.Buy glass it holds the heat well

tlbowling

Geck~OCD
Are u geting the grounded herpstat ?.Buy glass it holds the heat well

Yes I followed your advice and went with the grounded herpstat. Glass sounds safer than wood to me. I certainly don't want any fires!

Imperial Geckos

LIVE THE LIFE ™
I really don't know, lol, what I can tell you is that I have had 2 racks made from pegboard, and I have had the heat tape running on 24/7 with no problems. I just recently just made another rack out of the tempered hardboard and again, no problems :main_thumbsup:

It's certainly safe, light, and cheap! It runs at like $13 for a 4' x 8' sheet.

Last edited:

tlbowling

Geck~OCD
I still say glass will hold the heat much better and u probably dont have to set the thermostat as high if u use glass

Roger that Roger:main_thumbsup: LOL
I'll get the glass like you suggested since it gets a little chilly here in NJ in the winter. Maintaining the heat is important.

Thanks for your suggestion though Alex...you know I respect your opinions ;)

N

NC Geckos

Hey Guys,
I too am setting up a wire rack with flexwatt and was wondering if you all have any pictures of your setup. Are you taping the flexwatt to the wire shelf then putting the glass or hard board over it...or just sliding your tubs or tanks on top of the flexwatt? Thanks,
Michael

tlbowling

Geck~OCD
Hey Guys,
I too am setting up a wire rack with flexwatt and was wondering if you all have any pictures of your setup. Are you taping the flexwatt to the wire shelf then putting the glass or hard board over it...or just sliding your tubs or tanks on top of the flexwatt? Thanks,
Michael

I layed tile down on top of the wire shelf first, and taped my heat tape to that (but I DONT RECOMMEND DOING IT THAT WAY) I found that the tile was absorbing all the heat and it wasnt rising up into my tubs. So I took cork shelf liner (avail. at Home depot) and cut 4 " strips and put that on top of the tile where my heat tape was going to lay, and then foil taped my heat tape on top of that, it works great now. But I think if I had to do it again, I'd lay tempered hard board on top of the wire shelf first, then tape the heat tape to that. Let me know if you still need some pix, or if this is info. good enough :) Hope it helps :)

Last edited:
N

NC Geckos

Thanks tlbowling,
So do you just slide the tanks or tub on and off the flexwatt. Has anyone had issues with wearing out the flexwatt from the constant sliding? May latest idea was to cut a piece of tile the size of the heat tape and tape the flexwatt to the tile and then it will be pressed up against the bottom of my glass tank, but i could still remove the tank without having the flexwatt taped to the bottom of the tank. However, it sounds like that is what you were doing and you were not getting the temps you wanted. Does the tempered hardboard hold heat better than the tile?

tlbowling

Geck~OCD
Thanks tlbowling,
So do you just slide the tanks or tub on and off the flexwatt. Has anyone had issues with wearing out the flexwatt from the constant sliding? May latest idea was to cut a piece of tile the size of the heat tape and tape the flexwatt to the tile and then it will be pressed up against the bottom of my glass tank, but i could still remove the tank without having the flexwatt taped to the bottom of the tank. However, it sounds like that is what you were doing and you were not getting the temps you wanted. Does the tempered hardboard hold heat better than the tile?

I use the sterilite plastic bins, and just slide them back directly over the heat tape, the only part that is actually sliding over the heat tape are the grooves along side of the plastic bins, b/c the center is raised up about a 1/4 inch.
I dont think you're going to want to use tanks, they are so heavy, and dont slide in and out very easily. I also dont think you'd want to just tape the heat tape to a peice of tile cut the size of the heat tape either, that would raise it up, and you wont have a flat surface and your bins would be on a slant.
I have never used the tempered hardboard yet, but it was recommended to me, and I think it would work nicely, now that I see what a good job a cork lining does.

Visit our friends