HOw do you moisten humid hide substrate, lol.

LizMarie

For my humid hides I either use Coconut Fiber or Peat Moss and I always make a HUGE mess when I try to moisten it. Both are dry and dusty so I tend to throw it in a tupperware and soak it in some water but for some reason I always make a mess so does anyone know how I can reduce the mess so it no longer seems I decided to roll around in the mud, lol.

Also this is for the first time straight out of the bag after it's in the tank I just spray it down every other day or so.

Srt14292

Est; 1992
Liz im afraid i do that as well, just chuck it in a big tub of water and thoroughly soak. Not sure if there IS anyother way to do it, maybe chuck it into a sieve? pour water through it so it retains moisture.

LizMarie

Liz im afraid i do that as well, just chuck it in a big tub of water and thoroughly soak. Not sure if there IS anyother way to do it, maybe chuck it into a sieve? pour water through it so it retains moisture.

i tried putting it through a strainer and it didn't work I think I lost more substrate that way. I love that stuff but its so freaking messy, lol

spykerherps

-sssSpyker ExoticSsss-
When my girls need more moisture in their lay boxes I spray or pore water directly into the hide. then I cover the entry hole and give it a little shake to distribute the water.

J

Joseph_Riccilia

I know I'm new to all of this but for my little girl I put some frog moss in her moist hide and have only had to mist it maybe once so far. I'm pretty happy with it too because she hasn't eaten any and she had a really successful shed recently as well :) she just goes in and out as she pleases :)

G

GrmReaper

Same here, just use a spray bottle with water and shoot it straight in my moist hide.

Bellalee

She did say she sprays it down after it's in the hide. As for the beginning, I put mine in a bowl with water and soak it. Then sort of do a wash thing, were I rinse it a couple times and squeeze it out. Try putting the tupperware in a bathtub or a shower?

LizMarie

She did say she sprays it down after it's in the hide. As for the beginning, I put mine in a bowl with water and soak it. Then sort of do a wash thing, were I rinse it a couple times and squeeze it out. Try putting the tupperware in a bathtub or a shower?

Correct. The reason why I don't use the spray bottle in the beginning is because it doesn't moisten the entire thing just the top.

gothra

Happy Gecko Family
I also just soak it a bucket, but I don't use too much water to start with though. I just add enough water to let the brick loosen. It'll still be brick form, but the outer layer will break off easily when you scoop it with a spoon or something. The core of the brick may still be dry and compacted; you can strip and store the outer moist layer first, then add water again to the dry core.

Liz I use a flat head screw driver and hammer and break my brick in small pieces that way I only have to put small pieces in a bowl at a time. I dont seem to make to big of a mess by doing small pieces at a time, and I am able to keep the rest dry until I need it. Good luck.

SLB1989

I use paper towel in my moist hide and I just spray it
with a spray bottle, is so easy and theres no mess.

robin

i get it out of the bag dry and then put it in a bucket and add water. i let it soak and then break it up and add more water if i need to. then i take it out and squeeze out any excess water and put it in the hide. after that i spray it down or add water to the humid hide, as needed.

Visit our friends