how many years of leopard gecko experance do u have???

how many years have u been working with leopard geckos

• Total voters

lady.gekko

-Years Experience about 8. Not into breeding, but just as companions.

5 things I have learned: That's tough..
-How to identify morphs more easily.
-They make great reptiles, are very easy to look after. I've had other geckos, pythons, corns, milksnakes, tortoises, beardies, iguanas, frogs, turtles etc...and the Leo's are by far my favorite!
-As someone else mentioned, listen to what others have to say, especially experienced hobbyists.
-Not for myself by others -> LEO'S LIVE ALONG TIME!!!!! I find so many are a "few months" interest thing, than they are tossed aside and mistreated.
-I guess, just a lot of basic things too. From bedding-heating-all the different types of food out there for Leo's. I know it sounds simple, but now after going through it all, those would be the main questions I see, and am asked from beginners.
[[[Since one wasn't a real thing I've learned, but more of a observation...I'll add one more]]]
-They are actually really entertaining. More so than Bearded Dragons, I believe. My geckos seem to enjoy, new hides + huts. There is so many small knick-nacks that Leo's can use. Whether it's small animal supplies or something you've seen at a craft store. Some how it can come into play with Leo's. I see it bringing out a lot of the artistic side of hobbyists who try to make their own caging + backgrounds. Or as simple as dishes. It truly is a fun hobby and with other reptiles it doesn't seem to be as much "adventure" in the possibilities you can provide for Leopard Geckos. - If that makes any sense!

Needless to say, I absolutely adore them!

Samantha

-Years Experience about 8. Not into breeding, but just as companions.

5 things I have learned: That's tough..
-How to identify morphs more easily.
-They make great reptiles, are very easy to look after. I've had other geckos, pythons, corns, milksnakes, tortoises, beardies, iguanas, frogs, turtles etc...and the Leo's are by far my favorite!
-As someone else mentioned, listen to what others have to say, especially experienced hobbyists.
-Not for myself by others -> LEO'S LIVE ALONG TIME!!!!! I find so many are a "few months" interest thing, than they are tossed aside and mistreated.
-I guess, just a lot of basic things too. From bedding-heating-all the different types of food out there for Leo's. I know it sounds simple, but now after going through it all, those would be the main questions I see, and am asked from beginners.
[[[Since one wasn't a real thing I've learned, but more of a observation...I'll add one more]]]
-They are actually really entertaining. More so than Bearded Dragons, I believe. My geckos seem to enjoy, new hides + huts. There is so many small knick-nacks that Leo's can use. Whether it's small animal supplies or something you've seen at a craft store. Some how it can come into play with Leo's. I see it bringing out a lot of the artistic side of hobbyists who try to make their own caging + backgrounds. Or as simple as dishes. It truly is a fun hobby and with other reptiles it doesn't seem to be as much "adventure" in the possibilities you can provide for Leopard Geckos. - If that makes any sense!

Needless to say, I absolutely adore them!

aww u really love them trust me i know how loveable geckos are they just keep me intertained always

Samantha

i love how you can make and or find things to add to their tank and they love the new stuff thats why they keep me so intrersted and also the way they look at u u can tell they love u for taking good care of them

ReptarNDukeNukem

Gecko Newbie
I have been into Leopard geckos for 3 Years.
1.)Before you breed make sure you have the room,money,and the materials for all their needs
2.)Before you breed make sure you know the genetics so you do not end up having double hets for albinos
3.)All geckos are different in feeding,personality.
4.)How to build an efficient rack to fit all sizes of Leopard geckos(I learned mine from Yellermellon)
5.)When in doubt post a thread for different answers/opinions.

EchoPet

Gecko Obsessed
I've personally kept leopard geckos for over 10 years now, and also had experience working with them and other reptiles for 13 years.

Things I've learned:
1. Geckos are best kept singly.
2. Belly heat is more important than overhead heat.
3. Loose substrate is a no-no.
4. Mealworms can be a staple diet, the whole chewing-out-of-the-stomach and chitin impaction things are just old wives tales.
5. They are addicting!

Last edited:

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I got my first gecko in 2003 (though I have a long history 45 ignorant years ago of killing pet-store anoles and iguanas) and just finished my 5th breeding season:

1. There is a natural leopard gecko yearly breeding and eating cycle
2. There is a natural leopard gecko selling cycle
3. If you know the cycle you will worry less about what your geckos are (and aren't) doing
4. Leopard geckos can exist for 24 hours in a deli cup (just learned that)
5. You can have too many leopard geckos, especially if you live in a small house.

Aliza

Latlaw

I got my first gecko in 2003 (though I have a long history 45 ignorant years ago of killing pet-store anoles and iguanas) and just finished my 5th breeding season:

1. There is a natural leopard gecko yearly breeding and eating cycle
2. There is a natural leopard gecko selling cycle
3. If you know the cycle you will worry less about what your geckos are (and aren't) doing
4. Leopard geckos can exist for 24 hours in a deli cup (just learned that)
5. You can have too many leopard geckos, especially if you live in a small house.

Aliza

Chuckling about your number 5! lol

Samantha

i hae 3 females and a male and i think my babie is going to be a male i think i will nvr hae enough i love them sooooo much

cassadaga

Oregon Rainwater
I got my first breeding pair of leos in '99. They were a jungle female and a normal male. My mom had mad a deal with me that if I could breed them I could have a snake. She thought a 12 year old wouldn't be able to do it. Haha. I have been breeding pretty consistently since then, I missed one season completely, and have been breeding very small groups of geckos the past few years. Mostly because I had to grow up, in a sense, haha. Now that I'm getting settled as an adult, my collection is expanding again, but it's still going to stay a lot smaller than many of your's.

OneFootedAce

I got my first breeding pair of leos in '99. They were a jungle female and a normal male. My mom had mad a deal with me that if I could breed them I could have a snake. She thought a 12 year old wouldn't be able to do it. Haha. I have been breeding pretty consistently since then, I missed one season completely, and have been breeding very small groups of geckos the past few years. Mostly because I had to grow up, in a sense, haha. Now that I'm getting settled as an adult, my collection is expanding again, but it's still going to stay a lot smaller than many of your's.

haha thats a great story lol!

Jheuloh

Lost in the Jello Bowl
I have 7 months of reading about Leopard Geckos and other reptiles, and have about 2 months experience with actual leopard gecko care.

Important 5 things I have learned;

1) Xenophobia is not always the best approach.

2) Opinionated People are Opinionated.

3) Experienced & Knowledgeable Humans > internet research.

4) Leopard Geckos have big personalities in a small body. Dynamite comes in small packages! :bomb:

5) Never leave your hands in the same terrarium a hungry gecko resides in. :main_laugh:

Last edited:

spykerherps

-sssSpyker ExoticSsss-
I have worked with leopards for the past 12 years and varius other herps for 15.
the top five most important things
1) temps temps temps got to have the proper temps
2)proper supplementation calcium/ vitamins
3) good feeders properly gutloaded insect pray items
4) suitable maintainable environments wether they be tubs or displays.
5)leos are like potato chips you can't just have 1 r 2

ILoveGeckos14

I put 1-3 years.
1. Temps- too cold or too hot can cause problems.
2. Always check incoming animals with a fecal exam.
3. Leopard Geckos scent mark and get stressed when you are too clean.
4. Varied diet is the best one.
5. Its up to you to nutritionally balance your feeder insects.
6. Raising your own insects is a pain!

dsmgecko

i have had the joy of having all kinds of reptiles and other critters since i was young, if i remember correctly my first leo was when i was around 12 years old. They are by far one of my favorite reptiles to keep....! Still cant wait till i get enough room for a blue tree monitor, one day.....

DanTheFireman

21 years.

1) They're very addictve.
2) They have widely varying personalites.
3) You'll always be tempted by "just one more".
4) They provide alot of pleasure in return for minimal basic care requirements.
5) You'll never know it all.

Visit our friends