How New African Fat-tailed Gecko morphs are Made

Reptil

I was always wondering how new morphs are made, not like i got it from a friend, i mean the first person to get a patternless or stripe less gecko, how did they get it. I know that once that first morph comes it opens a whole new world to more morphs. I heard that it is random to get it, so in the end all you have to do is mass breed them and hope to get one, always mixing the males and females hoping one combination makes a new morph or albino, i also heard some cross with wild strains to help keep the pool fresh but to also increase the chances.What do they do inbreed, breed randomly?

And is it possible with every animal, or just certain types, because they seem to be just in certain geckos and not others.

Thanks
Chris

Imperial Geckos

LIVE THE LIFE ™
Morphs are usually imported from africa. Then they are bred to normals, if the trait shown in the African Import are shown in the first generation, then the trait is either co-dom/dom...if it is not shown in the first generation then the morph is either Recessive/or nothing at all.

Babies are then bred back to each other or the parent to find out true genetics.

Example: I have a wild caught gecko with weird black/white/and washed out coloration..i bred it to another the gecko...all babies came out normal...so im guessing they are 100% het fot whatever morph the female is. This year i will breed a male back to mom to see if the trait is genetic..

This is all very confusing if you do not know genetics. If you have anymore questions feel free to give me a call. Ill be updating my morphs page on my website soon..so just keep your eyes open for that.

Regards,
Alex
305-281-1822
www.imperialgeckos.com

thegeckoguy23

Morphs are usually imported from africa. Then they are bred to normals, if the trait shown in the African Import are shown in the first generation, then the trait is either co-dom/dom...if it is not shown in the first generation then the morph is either Recessive/or nothing at all.

Babies are then bred back to each other or the parent to find out true genetics.

Example: I have a wild caught gecko with weird black/white/and washed out coloration..i bred it to another the gecko...all babies came out normal...so im guessing they are 100% het fot whatever morph the female is. This year i will breed a male back to mom to see if the trait is genetic..

This is all very confusing if you do not know genetics. If you have anymore questions feel free to give me a call. Ill be updating my morphs page on my website soon..so just keep your eyes open for that.

Regards,
Alex
305-281-1822
www.imperialgeckos.com

for real? is this only with aft's ?

Imperial Geckos

LIVE THE LIFE ™
for real? is this only with aft's ?

well no...most morphs are found where the reptile is found in nature..lol
ball python morphs originate from africa.. the albino ball python is what started it all..

But..morphs can pop up from time to time in CB geckos...think of it this way..
Morphs are deformities. They pop up randomly but they are genetic and can be reproduced. We however like the "deformities" with the geckos..the colors lol..

Pretend aliens come to earth to catch humans for breeding. And they find an Albino (albanism is a deformity in human terms, but not in geckos for us)..lol you catch my drift?

Sometimes it takes alot of inbreeding for morphs to pop up..like the enigma..IMO

but usually morphs are imported as WC or CH then in captivity we try to isolate the gene to prove it genetic..and if successful..BAM and new morph is born :main_thumbsup:

OhioGecko

Mod Squad Member
well no...most morphs are found where the reptile is found in nature..lol
ball python morphs originate from africa.. the albino ball python is what started it all..

But..morphs can pop up from time to time in CB geckos...think of it this way..
Morphs are deformities. They pop up randomly but they are genetic and can be reproduced. We however like the "deformities" with the geckos..the colors lol..

Pretend aliens come to earth to catch humans for breeding. And they find an Albino (albanism is a deformity in human terms, but not in geckos for us)..lol you catch my drift?

Sometimes it takes alot of inbreeding for morphs to pop up..like the enigma..IMO

but usually morphs are imported as WC or CH then in captivity we try to isolate the gene to prove it genetic..and if successful..BAM and new morph is born :main_thumbsup:

Alex, great analogy :main_thumbsup:

Reptil

So in order to to get a new strain i would have to pay someone that lives in africa to ship me any abnomral AFT Gecko they see?

so this would work for most geckos, and i'm guessing once you get an albino it opnes doors to more morphs, by breeding it over and over.

So i need someone who lives in Africa or i need to go to Africa! that sounds a little crazy how do the big breeders do it, do they have a guy in Africa that looks for different geckos?Details Please, you seem to breed Geckos.

I has wondering how JMG got all these new strains in AFT Geckos, they must of got a person who lives in Africa then, unless they bought a albino and stated making new morphs from that.I have to say JMG is doing a really good job on the AFT Geckos ad Morphs.

Details, if i was a breeder i would pay someone to send me geckos that are different from their homeland?

Thanks
Chris

BSM

All you need to due is find an importer/wholesaler and eventually you will find someone with something. When someones dealing with thousands of animals they eventually hit, For example there was an importer on fauna a while ago that had a patternless that was imported from Africa

Imperial Geckos

LIVE THE LIFE ™
CHris,

thats pretty much how it works. one needs to get in contact with an importer. the problem is that there are ALOT of scammers in africa. yes big breeders have an company that imports geckos.... also the albino doesnt have to be the "break-through morph"..some wholesale company will get morphs from time to time..like Josh from Outback Reptiles.. if you want WC fat tailed give me a call..

Regards,
Alex
305-281-1822

Imperial Geckos

LIVE THE LIFE ™
You don't need a wild caught gecko to produce a new morph.

i already stated that before...sometime morphs just pop up in CB collections..but it is rare...i think that the more they are inbred..the more likely for a new "morph" to pop up in captivity..

like since the import of WC leos is illegal..the captive bloodlines are constantly being inbred (this a breeders biggest problem) so many times leo breeders outcross to make their lines stronger..i think the enigma leopard gecko is an excellent example of a morph that popped up in a CB collection..and IMO it popped up because many of the geckos bloodlines are beginning to weaken..

im not a loepard gecko breeder nor do i know a ton about their morphs...but i know the basics and little more lol..

so if a someone want to chime in the whole CB "morph" pop up..please i want to hear your response :main_thumbsup:

T-ReXx

Uroplatus Fanatic
A better example might be the eclipse gene and Ron Tremper. Tremper states that he has a closed collection, and the first eclipse animal (a RAPTOR) popped up randomly in the process of developing the APTOR morph. Same thing with the giant gene, a random extra large hatchling popped up, it was test bred over several generations, and the giant gene was the result. If you read tremper's book he has a fairly in-depth description of how the RAPTOR came to be. The fact is, many animals in captivity are potentially carrying genes for genetic variations, look at tokay geckos and the huge variety of unproven visual "morphs" there are with them. Fact is, in order to "unlock" a gene within a population it takes many years of selective breeding, and oftentimes it's completely random. The majority of reptile breeders don't maintain large enough collections or produce the massive amounts of offspring it would take to do such unlocking, and even under those circumstances there's no garuntee your particular population contains any genes for such variations in the first place. So, it is correct that in general, the MAJORITY of new genetic morphs come from wild caught, aberrant parent animals.

Visit our friends