How often do you change the substrate in your humid hide?

jschaf1

I have decided to give coco husk a try as a substrate in my humide hide. I was just wondering how often I should change the coco husk. I don't want to risk growing mold or some other nasty stuff in there.

My humid hide is one of those repti shelter 3in1 hides.

Thanks!

T-ReXx

Uroplatus Fanatic
I use coco fiber and replace it once a week. You could possibly get away with every other week, it's pretty resistant to mold, but once a week would be best.

gothra

Happy Gecko Family
To be honest, when I used coir, I only change it once a month. I let it completely dried out before I mist it again. Never had mold problem. I'm using paper towel now, and I change them once a week.

jermh1

I use the coir, or eco earth. if they dont poop in it once a month. I have geckos that poop in it, and I scoop out a liberal amount around the poop and need to change every week. the actual coir itself wont grow mold, unless it has skin chunks, poo, or dead food items in it.

M

mushraeddur

I use paper towls, and once a week.

This may sound like a silly question, but do you tear the paper towel up, fold it up, wad it up when putting it in the hide? I'm getting a leo soon and am trying to picture what and how I'll be caring for the little guy/gal. Thanks. (I hope this isn't considered derailing the topic...if so, my apologies).

scottjusa

Lizards
This may sound like a silly question, but do you tear the paper towel up, fold it up, wad it up when putting it in the hide? I'm getting a leo soon and am trying to picture what and how I'll be caring for the little guy/gal. Thanks. (I hope this isn't considered derailing the topic...if so, my apologies).

Apology isn't excepted. Just kidding! I would wet the paper towels and after that force the intact paper towel into the mold you want.

I would allow the humid hide to dry out once and a while because moisture breeds mold and other undeesirable crap.

As you get to know your gecko, you will be able to notice when she or he is about to shed because their exterior davelops a white hue. If you don't notice this at first, it most likely wont be a big deal because they are great survivors.

Quah

I fold it up so its a square and fits inside my humid hide, soak it, put it in, and change it once a week.

Visit our friends