How to get a mealworms to eat

tristanlook67

I purchased two mack snow leos from Steve sykes at geckos etc a couple weeks back and they still haven't eaten anything I've been offering them mealworms. Does anyone have any tips to get them started eating I'm trying to avoid force feeding if at all possible

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I moved this out of the classifieds and into the proper sub-forum. It can take a few weeks or more. I just went through this with my new gecko that I've had for nearly a month. Here are the 2 basic rules of thumb:
--make sure your husbandry is correct, especially heat
--try other feeders (did you ask Steve what they're used to eating)
--keep offering and be patient. As long as they are not visibly losing weight, you're probably fine.

Aliza

tristanlook67

I read this as I was cleaning out tubs and I was paying close attention her tail is getting thin but her belly is very plump and I looked at her underside and there was a large dark blueish black blob on her stomach do you think she could be eating the eco earth in her moist hide getting impacted I'm curious because she has been pooping regularly but not eating

mcemo

They can poo gor weeks without eating, if u pinch the head of the worm so that a bit of juice comes out and hold leo upright with finger on back of neck and thumb on chest and then rub the worm on there snout they should eat it

Russellm0704

Steve feeds all of his leopard geckos mealworms. I suggest using mealworm guts to try and entice him. This usually worked for me. I never had a healthy gecko who starved to death with a full bowl of worms. Though if it goes on too long then maybe try a different feeder.

indyana

Out of curiosity, are you leaving the mealworms in a shallow dish overnight? Sometimes, if the geckos are feeling shy, they won't eat until you've gone away, so if you're tong feeding or something like that, they might avoid it.

Otherwise, I just suggest patience, even though it's been a few weeks. Healthy animals won't starve in that amount of time.

tristanlook67

I leave the mealworms I'm a dish 24/7 but I have very sad news the female all of a sudden died I wasn't expecting it at all because she still had a good sized tail but the same day I got the male to begin eating

Nemo

Hi Tristan try not to feed anything to your geckos and by leaving a bowl of meal worms (remember to feed the worm with a piece of carrot two hours before feeding)

I purchased two mack snow leos from Steve sykes at geckos etc a couple weeks back and they still haven't eaten anything I've been offering them mealworms. Does anyone have any tips to get them started eating I'm trying to avoid force feeding if at all possible

Visit our friends