How to safely use an undertank heater

Reptileperson

I have a got a free Undertank heat pad from my cosin, it still has the protective tape covering the sticky side and has a plug in attached to it. My queston is how to put in a undertank heater under the tank without causing damage or fire. It came with no instructions. It is appropiate for my tank because I have a 10 gallon tank and the pad is 8 watts which i checked online it is ment for 10 gallons.

aburningflame

Proper way:
It should have come with 4 feet - put these on the bottom of each corner of the aquarium - this lifts the aquarium and gives the cord clearance.

Remove the backing, and you should see the adhesive...stick it underneath one side of the aquarium (outside the tank) - once its stuck dont remove it

The way i use em:
put the sticky side on tin foil, then use electrical tape to tape the mat to the tank (so i can change heaters or remove)

Also, you SHOULD use a thermostat or rheostat to control the heatmat as it can overheat...my heat mats are small and are 4W so im not worried about overheating

Julius

Take a trip to your local hardware store. You can find these little pads that are made for putting on furniture legs so they don't scuff floors, they look like little hockey pucks. those will do to lift your tank. while you're there, get a lamp dimmer and attach it to your uth. play around with it, using a digital thermometer to find where you should set your dimmer. it'll probably be pretty low. good luck.

Alex G

You'll need something to lift the tank a bit so some air can flow in underneath, and you will almost certainly need to hook it up to a rheostat or thermostat ($10 lamp dimmer at any home improvement store is the cheapest, easiest route for a small number of animals). Stick it firmly to the underside of where ever you desire the "warm end" of your animal's tank to be, try to make sure there are no bubbles. Then, plug it into the rheo/thermostat and monitor the temperatures of the FLOOR UNDER THE SUBSTRATE with a digital probe thermometer. You'll want it to be between 80-88 at all times, and probably no higher than 90.

Mel&Keith

Mod Squad Member
We use paper towels but you can also use paper. Tile is a really good (maybe the best) substrate option for tanks. Just pick out a ceramic style that isn't slippery or use a natural stone. Take your inner tank dimensions with you to the hardware store and you can usually get them to cut it for you for free.

Visit our friends