I want a gecko but need help !

Cloclo2021

Hi ! I watched a lot of YouTube videos on leopard geckos and I already have a few things at home for the enclosure but I have a few questions before buying one !

1. First of all, I live in a basement and the temperature is around 21 degrees Celsius... do the gecko will be fine with just a heat mat ? Im scared that if I add a heating lamp it will get too hot in there.
2. Also, I plan on putting the gecko in my room, do they make a lot of noise at night ?
3. If I have a tank with a grilled lid will he be able to push up the lid and escape or the grilled lid works just fine?
4. Lastly, do they need live insects or they can eat them dead ?

Thank you so much :)

Last edited:

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Here are my answers to your questions:
1. As long as the temperature is something humans can live with, and there is a heat mat and a warm hide, the gecko, if it's cold, can go into the warm hide. The air trapped in the hide will be warm and the gecko will be comfortable. My living room, where my geckos are, is probably not much warmer on cold days in the winter.
2. The only noise most leopard geckos make is a little rustling when they're shedding their skin and an occasional very quiet single chirping noise.
3. I'm not sure what you mean by a grilled lid. If you mean a lid with a solid frame and a mesh surface, like screening, the gecko will not be able to push that up, and besides, it's a terrestrial animal, so it won't be able to get up there.
4. They really need to eat live insects. They're not interested for the most part if the bugs or worms aren't moving

Aliza

Cloclo2021

1. As long as the temperature is something humans can live with, and there is a heat mat and a warm hide, the gecko, if it's cold, can go into the warm hide. The air trapped in the hide will be warm and the gecko will be comfortable. My living room, where my geckos are, is probably not much warmer on cold days in the winter.
2. The only noise most leopard geckos make is a little rustling when they're shedding their skin and an occasional very quiet single chirping noise.
3. I'm not sure what you mean by a grilled lid. If you mean a lid with a solid frame and a mesh surface, like screening, the gecko will not be able to push that up, and besides, it's a terrestrial animal, so it won't be able to get up there.
4. They really need to eat live insects. They're not interested for the most part if the bugs or worms aren't moving

Aliza

Aliza
Thank you that's really helpful :)

Last edited:

The lizards

Hi ! I watched a lot of YouTube videos on leopard geckos and I already have a few things at home for the enclosure but I have a few questions before buying one !

1. First of all, I live in a basement and the temperature is around 21 degrees Celsius... do the gecko will be fine with just a heat mat ? Im scared that if I add a heating lamp it will get too hot in there.
2. Also, I plan on putting the gecko in my room, do they make a lot of noise at night ?
3. If I have a tank with a grilled lid will he be able to push up the lid and escape or the grilled lid works just fine?
4. Lastly, do they need live insects or they can eat them dead ?

Thank you so much :)
1. I only use a heat mat for my leos.
2. They don't make very much noise just once in a while if they're shedding.
3. Leos don't have sticky pads on their feet, so they can't climb up the tank. They won't be able to get to the lid.
4. My leos eat them dead and live but they are much more interested in live ones. I have to tong feed the dead ones. Dead insects do save a lot of money though!

I would recommend this channel... she has lots of good info

Visit our friends