I want to change my leopard gecko's substrate?

C

crank

When I first got my leo, 10 months ago, i put sand in. He has has calci-sand all of his life. I want to know if I could change his substrate from sand to paper towels... Like, if it would confuse him or anything.
Thanks. ^^

robin

nope it would not confuse him, in fact that would be the best thing you culd do is to put him on paper towels :yes:

C

crank

Kay, so I desided i'm going to put my leo on paper towel, but now I have a few questions.
How many layers of paper towels should I use, so he doesn't get burned from the UTH?
I was also thinking about getting unglazed slate/tile but how does the warmth from the heater pass through?

artgecko

The heater heats the tiles and they stay warm. I doubt the UTH would be hot enough to burn your gecko. He will move to the cooler end. Just measure the temp on the floor with a good thermometer.

robin

as far as paper towels i just do two layers. make sure you have some sort of thermostat on your UTH. i have never used slate so i know nothing about it. i have heard good things but i personally have never used it

Srt14292

Est; 1992
Have heard good things about slate, I use a rock in one corner myself, but it holds the heat well and the geckos can keep there claws down when climbing on it.
+1 with Robin, the best thing you could do is put him on towels.

GrimmyX15

Mkay-um?
Retip-carpet. Would work , in fact they come in different colors. green brown gray etc as you find in intenet or your local pet store. :) if you want plain substance. You would have paper towel.

or more fun color.

Retip-carpet.
You can wash it and put it back in leo home.

C

crank

I replaced the sand with paper towel, but now i guess it was to warm for my gecko, and he didin't go to the cool side of the tank, but he stood up on his rock and pushed his belly againest the glass to cool down. Why didn't he just go to the cool side? D:

lisa0668

I put reptile carpet down and then cover that with two layers of paper towels. Stays nice and warm, but doesn't get too hot. Also you might need a dimmer to turn the UTH down. I do that, too.

Visit our friends