Identify these plants, please!

Dama682

Cautious Gecko Firsttimer
Apparently, upon hearing that I got a new gecko, my Biology teacher at my school gave me 5 aloe plants. I want to make sure if these plants are safe and non-toxic for my gecko (all I know is that the climbing aloe is safe).

I'm going to place these pots in the tank - I'm not going to have them planted directly onto the substrate or anything.

Last edited:

robin

aloe vera

i have no clue as to if they are safe i would imagine so but i dont know. the thing i would worry about is them getting scratched by em

JordanAng420

I'm embarrased to say that I don't know either. :eek:

Let's pull out Mader's book and see what he says:

Okay...Mader doesn't say anything about it. There are a few types of plants that he has listed as "toxic for reptiles" but aloe isn't one of them. I'd be inclined to believe you're probably okay...so long as the plant hasn't been sprayed with chemicals or anything. I guess give it a good rinse if you can.

lillith

lillith's leo lovables
Well, I think the aloe would suffer more damage from being in there with the geckos...but aloe is an astringent, demulcent, and laxative; so if they ate any, they might get the runs. I doubt they'd eat it, though. I'd worry more that it would snap under their weight.

Dama682

Cautious Gecko Firsttimer
Well, I think the aloe would suffer more damage from being in there with the geckos...but aloe is an astringent, demulcent, and laxative; so if they ate any, they might get the runs. I doubt they'd eat it, though. I'd worry more that it would snap under their weight.

Well, my gecko's still a juvenile, so I don't think the leaves would snap under his weight.

Thanks for the information, everyone!

Misstasha

looks like aloe vera to me, i've seen them on a lot of non toxic plants for reptile sites lol. as long as they dont digest the liquid they will be fine - and im pretty sure leos dont go around biting plants so ur juvie should be fine :)

ElapidSVT

lolwut?
the aloe will need a lot more light to thrive than the gecko is going to appreciate. they are nocturnal after all. soil tends to have mites living in it. imo live plants aren't the best idea.

good luck!

Visit our friends