I'm so tired...or am I?

Coils

Gecko Geek
So what is the whole thing about geckos "yawning"?

I've heard a number of things now, like they ARE just yawning and then that they are even measuring the temps around them by doing this mouth gaping thing. So what is everyone leaning towards here?

Coils

Gecko Geek
hmmm. Never thought about it, lol. Ive never seen my leos "Yawn".

Lol, really? If one thing I have seen (out of drinking, calcium licking ect) it's "yawning"! It's funny, but I have heard multiple things about it that got me all curious. :D

KelliH

7bigyawn.jpg

:D

Stitchex

I think they do it to get their jaw in the correct position again...or that's what I've heard...? Or to get food to go down...

gmaier19

ive caught my geckos yawn many o times. i always just assumed its like us or other animals yawning (from being tired). some people think that yawning is from a lack of oxygen to the brain.

my blizzard however, has opened her mouth really wide just like a yawn from being over stimulated. she was having shed issues so i put her in a bowl of warm water and i dont think she liked it very much. she opened her mouth all the way and looked like she was about to really freak out!!! it was scary because i thought she was about to have a seizure or something. since then i bought some "shed ease" so i will never have to put her in water again lol.

OneFootedAce

never really though of why they yawn...I only catch one of mine doing it, and its always during or right after there eating, so my guess in my case would be for helping to get food down faster. and LOL at the yawning pics :)

Coils

Gecko Geek
LOL @ all the yawns, those are awesome! I have to say, I have seen mine do the "yawn" after eating to possibly help food go down, but I have also seen this NOT during eating or a shed. Mainly while I am holding them or they are just laying around when I have them out (on my lap/leg ect) so I was just wondering about it.

If you want to see something really funny, you should head over to youtube and type in Gecko yawn: T-rex sounds. It's hilarious! I had to end up watching Lost World Jarassic Park after watching it. :D

GeckoNub

Ive seen mine yawn loads of times, a lot of it when theyve just woken up and come out of their hides or when theyre ready to sleep. I honestly think its the same reason we yawn. Ive never noticed a link between them eating and yawning to get the food down. While theyre eating a little twist they do seems to get the food down :) If you think they are gasping for air then id be a little concerned :anxious:

The pics are awesome though :) My BF didnt see any of mine yawn until a few months back and when he did he was like "OMG Daisy just opened her mouth REALLY wide!" :laugh4:

Visit our friends