Incubation temps-effects on eggs development

staceyleigh

Ok I have a specific question about incubation temps. I just assembled my first DIY incubator and I am testing it out. I have Ron Trempers book "The Next Generation" and it has some very detailed info about the effects of incubation temps on determining gender but also color, etc. In this book it states that prolonged exposure to temps between 89-91 can increase egg losses. So when incubating for males is it best to keep them at 90 for 3 weeks then decrease the temps to 85 or so. What do others do? Also with females (albinos in particular) this books talks about keeping eggs at 82 for 3 weeks to lock in the sex, then move them to a 90 incubator to enhance color pigments (otherwise you may get dark albinos), does anyone do this here?

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
For male incubation, I suggest that you just incubate at 88 which will solve the "too hot" problem. I think if you do a search, you'll find threads about people doing the temp change for color enhancement. I haven't done it and am very leery of moving the temps around like that, but see if you can get info from people who have actually done it.

Aliza

DrCarrotTail

I believe in Tremper's book he says being at 90 24/7 can stress the eggs. I think he states he beings them down to 87-88 at night. I've also heard that moving directly from 82-88 can kill the hatchling and raising the temperature should be done slowly over the course of a week with only a degree or two raise every 24 hours. Most breeders that do this have a series of 4 or more incubators set at different temps (82, 84, 86, 88, etc) so they can raise the temp slowly and consistently.

Personally, I do what Aliza suggests and incubate males at a steady 88 degrees. Last year I incubated females at 81 and will try 83 this year. All of mine were still a very rich orange but I should know this season if and how the orange temperatures affect them!

staceyleigh

Thanks- that makes more sense to me. I only plan to have 2 incubators, so one at 88 for males, and one at 82-83 for female would be good. Will 83 mostly produce female?

tb144050

I would say yes. If you have some temp variations that mildy flex toward 84 or 85, especially during the first 3 weeks, then you have a slightly increased chance of "mixed" (by that I mean "random sex")....as opposed to the "mostly female" temp range focused around 82.

But that is a very small chance of male....just basically a very slightly increase in the probability of male if temps vary higher.

Visit our friends