Infrared or Red?

herpencounter

Herpencounter.com
Infrared-A (aka near infrared) runs in the 700 nm (700-800nm depending on the study)–1400 nm range. Humans can see in the 380-750 nm range (visible light spectrum). What we see as "red light" is in the 620-750 nm range. Reptiles have about the same range in light spectrum (they can see some ultraviolet though).

In other words... You cant see infrared and your reptiles cant see infrared lol. The red bulbs you buy at the store are in the 620-750 nm range. If it was any higher you wouldn't see it =P.

EDIT: Infrared is generally accepted at the point when you can no longer see red light (wrong wording but you get the idea). Humans can see up to 700-780 nm so infrared would start around that point. Humans can see as low as 350-400 nm range so around that point it is considered ultraviolet.

Last edited:

robin

ok so if you buy a 60 watt red light bulb at walmart and a 60 watt red bulb especially made for reptiles at a pet shop, you are getting the same thing?

herpencounter

Herpencounter.com
ok so if you buy a 60 watt red light bulb at walmart and a 60 watt red bulb especially made for reptiles at a pet shop, you are getting the same thing?

ROFL! Basically... Yes. The only big difference between the two is 8 bucks... The ones from your pet shop might be redder (is redder a word did I spell it right LOL!) though. I have not bought one in 6-7 years.... So I don't remember if it was.

ketz

Infrared-A (aka near infrared) runs in the 700 nm (700-800nm depending on the study)–1400 nm range. Humans can see in the 380-750 nm range (visible light spectrum). What we see as "red light" is in the 620-750 nm range. Reptiles have about the same range in light spectrum (they can see some ultraviolet though).

In other words... You cant see infrared and your reptiles cant see infrared lol. The red bulbs you buy at the store are in the 620-750 nm range. If it was any higher you wouldn't see it =P.

EDIT: Infrared is generally accepted at the point when you can no longer see red light (wrong wording but you get the idea). Humans can see up to 700-780 nm so infrared would start around that point. Humans can see as low as 350-400 nm range so around that point it is considered ultraviolet.

I'm not sure exactly what you're saying because the wording is confusing but I know that infrared is the frequency below red light, rather than after it. Ultraviolet is what happens after you stop seeing violet at the top of frequency scale. Again, you may have said all of this, I just didn't understand it correctly.

robin

wiki rocks http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultraviolet

"Ultraviolet (UV) light is electromagnetic radiation with a wavelength shorter than that of visible light, but longer than x-rays, in the range 10 nm to 400 nm, and energies from 3 eV to 124 eV. It is so named because the spectrum consists of electromagnetic waves with frequencies higher than those that humans identify as the color violet.
UV light is found in sunlight and is emitted by electric arcs and specialized lights such as black lights. As an ionizing radiation it can cause chemical reactions, and causes many substances to glow or fluoresce. Most people are aware of the effects of UV through the painful condition of sunburn, but the UV spectrum has many other effects, both beneficial and damaging, on human health."

robin

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infrared

"Infrared radiation (IR) is electromagnetic radiation with a wavelength between 0.7 and 300 micrometres, which equates to a frequency range between approximately 1 and 430 THz.[1]
Its wavelength is longer (and the frequency lower) than that of visible light, but the wavelength is shorter (and the frequency higher) than that of terahertz radiation microwaves. Bright sunlight provides an irradiance of about 1 kilowatt per square meter at sea level. Of this energy, 527 watts is infrared light, 445 watts is visible light, and 32 watts is ultraviolet light.[2]"

herpencounter

Herpencounter.com
I'm not sure exactly what you're saying because the wording is confusing but I know that infrared is the frequency below red light, rather than after it. Ultraviolet is what happens after you stop seeing violet at the top of frequency scale. Again, you may have said all of this, I just didn't understand it correctly.

Ultraviolet 380nm and less.
Visible light spectrum 380-750nm.
Infrared 750nm and more.

Ultraviolet --- Visible light --- Infrared

herpencounter

Herpencounter.com
wiki rocks http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultraviolet

"Ultraviolet (UV) light is electromagnetic radiation with a wavelength shorter than that of visible light, but longer than x-rays, in the range 10 nm to 400 nm, and energies from 3 eV to 124 eV. It is so named because the spectrum consists of electromagnetic waves with frequencies higher than those that humans identify as the color violet.
UV light is found in sunlight and is emitted by electric arcs and specialized lights such as black lights. As an ionizing radiation it can cause chemical reactions, and causes many substances to glow or fluoresce. Most people are aware of the effects of UV through the painful condition of sunburn, but the UV spectrum has many other effects, both beneficial and damaging, on human health."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infrared

"Infrared radiation (IR) is electromagnetic radiation with a wavelength between 0.7 and 300 micrometres, which equates to a frequency range between approximately 1 and 430 THz.[1]
Its wavelength is longer (and the frequency lower) than that of visible light, but the wavelength is shorter (and the frequency higher) than that of terahertz radiation microwaves. Bright sunlight provides an irradiance of about 1 kilowatt per square meter at sea level. Of this energy, 527 watts is infrared light, 445 watts is visible light, and 32 watts is ultraviolet light.[2]"

:main_yes:

leogecko88

??? But the light that comes from the infrared reptile bulbs looks just like the red ones. Is Exoterra's infrared just a red bulb?

herpencounter

Herpencounter.com
??? But the light that comes from the infrared reptile bulbs looks just like the red ones. Is Exoterra's infrared just a red bulb?

Its not infrared its red lol. If it was infrared you wouldn't see it =).

EDIT: I am SURE the bulbs go into the infrared range, but you cant see it, the red light you see from the bulbs is in the 620-750nm range.

Last edited:

ketz

Ahh I see what happened, you guys are talking about wavelength and I'm talking about frequency. In terms of frequency it is what I said in order of lowest frequency to highest- infrared-visible light-ultraviolet

But in terms of wavelength you guys are right. As the frequency goes higher the wavelength gets smaller.

herpencounter

Herpencounter.com

I should have said this in my last post. There is probably a difference between the two. The red bulbs from the pet show probably give of more infrared radiation than the walmart stuff.

herpencounter

Herpencounter.com
Ahh I see what happened, you guys are talking about wavelength and I'm talking about frequency. In terms of frequency it is what I said in order of lowest frequency to highest- infrared-visible light-ultraviolet

But in terms of wavelength you guys are right. As the frequency goes higher the wavelength gets smaller.

HAHA Its all good :D :main_thumbsup:

gothra

Happy Gecko Family
I'm a little confused. Do you mean when I turn on the Zoomed Infrared bulbs in the gecko room, my geckos also see everything in red just like I do? I installed several bulbs on the ceiling and made the gecko room pretty bright (in red), but their pupils still fully dilate - that's why I thought they aren't seeing as bright as I do?

Visit our friends