Keeping a gecko in a typically warm room?

bry12345

My room, which is upstairs, is where my gecko will be in a week or two. However, it gets warmer up here then it does on the main floor of the house. Just pointing a temp gun at the floor gets me 80 even though the thermostat downstairs says the house is at a comfortable 70. Does anyone have an issue like this? And how does it effect your keeping?

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
There is some evidence that really hot air (and I think 80 would qualify) can dehydrate the gecko and cause the eyes to dry out. On the other hand, some people keep their reptile rooms very hot and the geckos do OK. I'm surprised you can survive at a constant 80 degrees. I would imagine that the downstairs is harder to heat so when the temp is getting up to 70 there, it gets to 80 where you are. Any chance of keeping a window open a bit? Is it 70 all day every day, or does the heat go down at night? If you're stuck permanently with that temperature, just make sure the gecko gets lots of water and keep an "eye" on its eyes. Look for crusty eyes or signs of shed in the eyes.

Aliza

equinelove93

I've had this same problem during the summer. Opening a window definitely could help but what i would do when my room got too hot was to place a fan on the open window and set it to blow in some cooler air. I would also run another fan inside the room to circulate the cooler air around.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

Neon Aurora

I have a similar problem where my reptile room gets very warm because it's small and very well sealed (preventing escapes). When the furnace turns on, the reptile room gets warm much faster than the rest of the house. We have cold winters, though, so l just open a window until the room is cool enough and then close it.

bry12345

So, I found a window fan unit abandoned in the basement. Room temperature is mid 70's now. Problem solved! Thanks for the replies guys.

Visit our friends