Keeping them cool?

contracteryin

Shakawkawkaw
I'm having serious issues keeping my cresties tank cool. I can't get the temp any lower than 85 even with this mini fan over it an spraying the tank with cool water every once in a while.
So, what do you guys do? Any suggestions are welcome.

darkridder

Melissa the Scientist
Honestly this is one of those species if you do not have ac, or a basement they are not for you. When you hit 82 youre hitting danger zone for stress. Days on end in the 80's can lead to death. If you can not get the gecko into a cooler room (78 or less is best), you may want to invest in a window AC, or even a swamp cooler. A temp fix is using a frozen water bottle with a few holes in it for a cold water drip. But long term this is some serious stress on the gecko to which may lead to death.

contracteryin

Shakawkawkaw
I just moved them to the basement, it's a lot cooler there. I really don't want them to die and I don't have an air conditioner in my room, parents won't have the gecko in their room and the room with the big AC is way too cold.
Hopefully they do better in the basement. I REALLY need to convince my dad to get me an AC now.

contracteryin

Shakawkawkaw
I'm too young to get a job (15 and a half) and I have no allowance, so no way of making money. If I did, I'd invest in one.

darkridder

Melissa the Scientist
I agree with Nater, there are always ways of making money and usually you can find cheap ones on craigslist for $35-60. Offer to mow lawns, maybe to other yard work like painting, cleaning gutters, ect. But so long as your basement like I said is 78 or less you should be OK, and maybe by mid to late july you will have enough saved up to buy your own AC. But you will still want to run that idea past mom and dad, remember just because you can afford to buy one doesnt mean they want their electric bill to go up.

And it is hard for a room to be too cold for these guys. If you are finding your basement still isnt cool enough, so long as the "big room" is 68, you should be OK, these guys have been kept fine to as low as 65 degrees, they just tend to eat a bit less and grow a little slower. You can also do things such as very low watt lights over them, like 5-7 watts to keep them warmer if the room is super cool.

katie_

Wonder Reptiles
My little brother just turned 16 and he mows lawns for cash. I also pay him to wash my car.
He saved up enough money to buy his own iphone and pay the bill.
You can do it!!
Also, were all your geckos gifts from family? Maybe you could ask those people you want an a/c instead of another gecko.

tessran2400

you could just add a fan to cool the cage...i have used computer fans to cool my crestie (moved him to a cooler place so i don't use them anymore)

they need 12v to run

you can use chargers from cell phones and radios almost anything THAT HAVE 12 VOLT OUTPUT
cut the wire and hook it up to the computer fan.

or

you can use something like this http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5472147&sku=S23-1074

JUST MAKE SURE THAT THE CRESTIE CANT HIT THE FAN!!!!

tessran2400

They already said the were using a mini fan and it was not doing much help.

dont think he got the fan blowing air in to the cage as he said "even with this mini fan over it" what i did was remove 1 of the glass sliding doors and put in 4 mm plexiglass made the holes to mount the fans and put some fine mesh in front of the fan so the crestie would not get hurt used 120mm fans

contracteryin

Shakawkawkaw
Wow, not posting for a few days I got a lot more replies than I expected, but thank all of you guys!
I make a small amount of money from helping my grandparents and a few of my neighbors, but it isn't much worth mentioning. In a week I get maybe $10. Whenever I do have more I'll no doubt invest it on an AC.
But yea, the basement is cool enough. It's average around 73-75 degrees in the summer. The upstairs room with the air conditioner is normally on 60 being it cools every room in the house except downstairs and my parents room.

As far as eating less goes, that is so true. They normally ate almost all of the CGD while it was warmer then where he currently is, and yet now he eats 1/4 to 1/2 of it. Though I must say they seem much happier down there for the time being.

And as far as them being gifts, nope. I've bought all four of them with various Holiday money. That's normally when I get a decent amount.

Again, thank all of you guys! It's very much appreciated.

Visit our friends