Last I heard...

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I think it's not clear whether or not tail kinks are genetic, which is why most people don't breed them. There was a morph a few years ago that had a higher incidence of tail kinks, but a gecko can also have a tail kink because of position in the egg or incubation temp, or supplementation issues. Most people feel it's better to be on the safe side and not breed.

Aliza

Coils

Gecko Geek
I think it's not clear whether or not tail kinks are genetic, which is why most people don't breed them. There was a morph a few years ago that had a higher incidence of tail kinks, but a gecko can also have a tail kink because of position in the egg or incubation temp, or supplementation issues. Most people feel it's better to be on the safe side and not breed.

Aliza

So no one can say they've proved tail kinks AREN'T genetic though either then?

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
It's very possible that some tail kinks are and some aren't, but I don't think anyone has proved anything definitively. I'm sure if that's not the case I'll hear about it here pretty soon!

Aliza

paulnj

I would say in some cases of line bred traits you CAN get a genetic tail kink. I feel that most are from injuries, incubation and suppliment deficiencies during gestation.

I can tell you I bred a mack blizzard with a hip deformity and she laid 16 clutches and all were PERFECT (as were her parents). I bought a HIGH DOLLAR mack a few years back with a tail kink and in 3 seasons none of the siblings have shown one ;)

I had a 5 star tail kinked animal and it gave me a few just lke it ;)

MiamiLeos

im gonna have to agree with the some are, some arent theory. while you can have a genetic tail kink, it's also very easy to kink a hatchlings tail while they are young (i.e. anpther hatchling bites ones tail, tail gets stepped on, tail gets stuck somewhere) but i believe that tail kinks are not a major issue or health concern for geckos. i have bred kinked tailed geckos and have no regrets, especially if the animal has nice genetics :)

Pure

chamofile
As someone that is new to the leo game, I have a rough understanding of genetics in general, be it gecko or anything else...and I personally wouldn't purchase a gecko or any other animal with such an anomaly. That is if I was interested in breeding. The risk is just too great. I could care less if the seller "claims" it is a product of being caught in a deli cup or what ever. I personally wouldn't trust that claim unless I knew this seller very well and could trust them 100%..no offense meant to any one. Just my .02...

Now if you just want a great pet and happen to be searching for a very pretty morph, I see no harm in getting one with a kinked tail. It often reduces the price of said animal making it all the better deal for the purchaser.

Coils

Gecko Geek
As someone that is new to the leo game, I have a rough understanding of genetics in general, be it gecko or anything else...and I personally wouldn't purchase a gecko or any other animal with such an anomaly. That is if I was interested in breeding. The risk is just too great. I could care less if the seller "claims" it is a product of being caught in a deli cup or what ever. I personally wouldn't trust that claim unless I knew this seller very well and could trust them 100%..no offense meant to any one. Just my .02...

Now if you just want a great pet and happen to be searching for a very pretty morph, I see no harm in getting one with a kinked tail. It often reduces the price of said animal making it all the better deal for the purchaser.

+1....so you are saying you would be upset if you were sold a gecko that didn't sho any signs of tail kinks in the photo on a breeders sight and then you recieve one that has a rather bad kink?

Pure

chamofile
Yes, yes indeed I would be peeved if I paid for a gecko that was perfect in a picture but then showed up with a kinked tail. That breeder would have sum splainin to do.

I'm not a total newb by no means, some genetic oopses can take some time to show up. so if a breeder took a pic of a "perfect" geck (or what ever, as my interest are very broad) and what showed up at my door had a kinked tail or any other slow to show defect....yeah I wouldn't be happy!!

Visit our friends