Leo breeding

Onelifegecs

So I am new to this breeding thing and have recently paired two of my Leo’s. Is there any way to tell if they have locked and do you have any must knows for beginners. It’s a big tricky thing but I wanted to test the waters a bit.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I hope you've googled "breeding leopard geckos" and read what the internet has to offer. If you haven't seen them mate there's no way to know for sure, but often it happens and you won't have seen it. When I was breeding leopard geckos I would keep the males with the females for the entire breeding season so I didn't have to worry about whether or not they had done their thing.
In my opinion, the two biggest things a beginner should know are:
--get the best thermostat you can (if you are using a hobovator you'll need a better thermostat
--once you have eggs find something else to do besides obsessing over whether they will hatch or not

Aliza

Onelifegecs

I have researched it a good bit. I was thinking the same thing about just keeping them together but was unsure how stressed they could actually get

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I bred geckos for 13 years. I find that when they first get put together the male pesters the females a lot (mine generally backed off when they got the cold shoulder, so to speak) and then by about June the males lost interest.

Aliza

Onelifegecs

We decided to separate for a little bit cause we found where he bit up the tail and behind her head during the breeding process. Our female gets stressed fairly easily so we are just playing it by ear for now. Probably give her a little bit of a break and see what happens

Visit our friends