Leo tank humidity issue.

Bbravo

Hey all, as the title of the post states, I'm having an insanely annoying humidity issue. It keeps spiking and i can't for the life of me figure out why. The tank has never had an issue before m, but the last week or so it has gotten out of hand. I've had spikes to nearly 70%. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, the last thing I want is for this crap to effect my Leo's health.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
As long as you're not misting the tank, I don't think there's anything to worry about. I live in New England with no AC. The humidity varies greatly throughout the year. I never worry about it. I think in the wild they may spend more time in more humid micro climates than we realize. If you're using one of those humidity dials (as opposed to a digital one) it isn't going to be accurate anyway.

Aliza

Bbravo

Thank you for the reassurance. Unfortunately I think something is wrong with him. He has become lethargic since I originally posted this topic. He also now seems to be having an issue with his eyes. He is keeping them closed 99% of the time, and when he opens them he goes right to licking them. I took him to the vet and they gave him antibiotics, as well as vitamin A shots that I need to give him over the next week weeks.

Buttons

Awe :( I hope all ends up being okay with your little fella. I'm having the complete opposite issue which is not enough humidity i went to get a fogger but funny enough it was broken upon purchase and petsmart can't get me a replacement until later this week.. They were kind enough to saying they could refund me in cash as apparently they normally don't do such things but sadly no other shops in my area so im stuck having to mist a bit extra to keep his tanks humidity up to the point i actually have an alarm set on my iphone to wake me every 3 hours to check on him. Luckily his temps are fine but again humidity is the problem right now for me. :( I hope your little Leo is going to be okay and pulls out of this sickness strong! ^_^ give him boops from me when he gets better. Much love!

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I assume the poster above is talking about a crested gecko, not a leopard gecko. If you mist every evening, it should be sufficient. Too much humidity can be a problem for a crested gecko. The humidity is supposed to be high at night and gradually go down during the day.

Aliza

The lizards

Hey all, as the title of the post states, I'm having an insanely annoying humidity issue. It keeps spiking and i can't for the life of me figure out why. The tank has never had an issue before m, but the last week or so it has gotten out of hand. I've had spikes to nearly 70%. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, the last thing I want is for this crap to effect my Leo's health.
When I was setting up my leos tank when I first got him, I had humidity levels up to 90%!!! I removed all of my live plants and started misting less often. It seemed to really help.

Visit our friends