Leopard Gecko Breeding

LouieRM

Hey all
I'm wanting to start breeding leopard geckos.
I've found these two leopard geckos which I think I'd like to purchase and breed.
I know tangerines are line-bred, so what would their babies look like? A more intense tangerine?

Male - Mandarin Tangerine het rainwater het NDBE
Female - Mandarin Tangerine Rainwater het typhoon possible hetero Cyclone / NDBE

Attachments

• new123.jpg
    new123.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 2
  • new1234.jpg
    new1234.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 2

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Some of the offspring will be as orange as the most orange parent, some will be less orange and it's possible that some will be more orange. If you sell the offspring, you'd price the most tangerine looking higher than the least tangerine looking. Some of them will be rainwater albinos. If you expand your breeding, you would hold back the most orange geckos and breed them to each other, back to the orange parent (assuming your offspring are of the right gender) or you'd get another gecko of the opposite gender and breed it to your most orange geckos.

The only genetic concern I would have is that there are a lot of recessive genes either present or which may be present, including eclipse, Murphys patternless, NDBE. It gets kind of difficult to keep track of all the stray recessives that the offspring may have. This isn't bad for the gecko, but does make selling them to someone who wants to do a serious genetic breeding project difficult.

Aliza

LouieRM

Some of the offspring will be as orange as the most orange parent, some will be less orange and it's possible that some will be more orange. If you sell the offspring, you'd price the most tangerine looking higher than the least tangerine looking. Some of them will be rainwater albinos. If you expand your breeding, you would hold back the most orange geckos and breed them to each other, back to the orange parent (assuming your offspring are of the right gender) or you'd get another gecko of the opposite gender and breed it to your most orange geckos.

The only genetic concern I would have is that there are a lot of recessive genes either present or which may be present, including eclipse, Murphys patternless, NDBE. It gets kind of difficult to keep track of all the stray recessives that the offspring may have. This isn't bad for the gecko, but does make selling them to someone who wants to do a serious genetic breeding project difficult.

Aliza
Thank you for the reply!
I actually think I'm going to get this male instead
Mandarin Tangerine Rainwater Albino poss het NDBE.

Would that make them all rainwaters? What would the offsprings morph/colouration? be called?

Attachments

• forforum.jpg
    forforum.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Yes, they will all be rainwaters albinos (and if they're not, someone messed up!). If both parents are definitely from the Mandarine tangerine line, then you can call their offspring that as well.

Aliza

LouieRM

Yes, they will all be rainwaters albinos (and if they're not, someone messed up!). If both parents are definitely from the Mandarine tangerine line, then you can call their offspring that as well.

Aliza
Hey
Sorry, another question. The breeder said the couriers aren't shipping for some time now and I've found someone else closer.
They have purple head tangerines which I like quite a lot. Could you explain how they are made? Are they an albino? He says they are het free too.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Tangerines are orange geckos. Purple head means to me that the black spots that were originally on the heads have faded and due to the orange there is a purplish-cast. Here's a link to the gecko boa site that explains purple heads: https://www.geckoboa.com/purplehead.html
The important thing to find out from this breeder is whether they actually got the gecko or the gecko's parents from the Geckoboa line of purple heads or whether their gecko has purplish heads so they're just calling them purple heads. If they are truly from the Geckoboa line, you can market the offspring as purple head/ mandarin tangerine mix. If the breeder is just calling them purple heads because of how they look, in my opinion ethically you shouldn't market them as purple heads. As to whether they're albinos, you'll have to ask the breeder. Make sense?

Aliza

LouieRM

Tangerines are orange geckos. Purple head means to me that the black spots that were originally on the heads have faded and due to the orange there is a purplish-cast. Here's a link to the gecko boa site that explains purple heads: https://www.geckoboa.com/purplehead.html
The important thing to find out from this breeder is whether they actually got the gecko or the gecko's parents from the Geckoboa line of purple heads or whether their gecko has purplish heads so they're just calling them purple heads. If they are truly from the Geckoboa line, you can market the offspring as purple head/ mandarin tangerine mix. If the breeder is just calling them purple heads because of how they look, in my opinion ethically you shouldn't market them as purple heads. As to whether they're albinos, you'll have to ask the breeder. Make sense?

Aliza
Thank you!
Apologies, another question. What would the offspring look like with a female being a super hypo and the male being an atomic tangerine?

Last edited:

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
As both traits are linebred, the offspring will have a range of spotting, probably from not too many spots to no spots, and a range of orange from fairy orange to REALLY orange. Be aware that sometimes at the juvenile stage of a few months some of these orange geckos look a lot more orange than they will as adults.

Aliza

Visit our friends