Leopard gecko housing

andrew2dive

Just wondering if anyone has any info on housing leopard geckos, I'm planning on getting a 4ft vivarium and putting a shelf in bout a ft in width, how many leopard geckos could I have in a 4ft viv with the 1ft shelf with heat matt? Will be all females, and is housing 2 female crested geckos wise at all ? And what size viv would I need for the crested geckos ? Iv never had any geckos before just monitors and dragons so any info will be a big help

Amanda1

3 Year Member
I've never tried housing geckos together. Even if they are all females, you have to be very careful or they will fight or bully each other. They just don't like sharing their space. I house my cresties (singly) in an 18"x18"x24" ZooMed terrarium. They like to climb so height is very important. I absolutely would NOT house them in the same viv with leopard geckos. Bad idea, no matter what the size. I'm not sure about how many leos you can put in your enclosure. I would split it in half and put one gecko on either side.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I'm not sure what you mean by a shelf. I do house leopard geckos together, generally successfully. I keep 3 in a 12"x30" enclosure with an additional 12"x12" upper level. I also keep 3 in an 18"x36" enclosure. Based on that, I'd guess 4 females max in the size you're looking at.

Aliza

Josh2

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
Welcome aboard @andy2dive! Not sure either what your enclosure looks like exactly. Can you post some photos of it so we can be sure?

tyler407

Welcome man I agree with josh some pictures would be helpful. And while leopard geckos stay on the ground there entire lives and cresties stay up high I still wouldn't recommend mixing them but that's just my opinion. I had a male and female leo in a custom built 4'x2'x1.5' with a sliding divider half way so I could keep them separate as needed. And another thing to remember is there heat requirements and diets are completely different. Leopard geckos need calcium while cresties don't. Leopards need UVB lighting while cresties don't. I don't remember the differences in humidities but I don't think leopard geckos need it and cresties need in the 50-60 range I believe.

Hope I helped, if I gave off wrong information feel free to correct me I enjoy learning haha. This is just what I remember from having leopards

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
To the best of my knowledge, leopard geckos and cresties, both being nocturnal, need the same amount of calcium (small amounts with smaller amounts of vitamin D3) and UVB (none). The big issue is that cresties need much more humidity and shouldn't be kept with desert leopard geckos.

Aliza

Visit our friends