Leopard Gecko Lighting

LSchwarz

Hi. We’ve just bought an albino leopard gecko, and I can’t seem to get the heating right (common, I know). I have a 60w ceramic bulb in there (tank is about 2ft). It’s a glass tank. I also have a UV light, but I know they don’t give out heat. I’ve just ordered a heat mat and thermostat. Does the heat may go inside the tank - and will it be okay touching the glass at the bottom? Or do I need to put something under it and on top of it. My gecko hasn’t eaten yet - I’ve had him a day and a half. And my hot side is only 70oF. I’m worried.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
The heat mat goes up against the glass on the bottom of the enclosure on the outside. Most heat mats have an adhesive side with a backing. You peel the backing off and stick the heat mat to the outside bottom of the tank. The manufacturers say that once you do this, if you pull it off, it's no good anymore, so be aware. I'm glad you ordered a thermostat because the temperatures can get pretty high without one. Even though the instructions say that the heat mat should reach full heat in 6 hours, I've found that it can actually take a few days for it to max out, but if you have the thermostat, that's not really an issue. It's not unusual for a new gecko to refuse to eat, sometimes for a few weeks. They are very hardy creatures. Keep offering and see what develops.

Aliza

LSchwarz

Thank you!
If I have a ceramic heat lamp and a heat mat, what should the heat may thermostat be set at? My bulb is a 60w. Thanks.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I think the warm side should definitely be 85-90 degrees on the floor but if the air is that hot all the time I think it will dehydrate the gecko.

Aliza

Visit our friends