Leopard gecko not eating

Carmenstanziale

I have had my leo about 7 or 8 months now got him as a juvenile attempted feeding him crickets but he would not touch them so I started feeding him meal worms he has always ate very good since started the meal worms until 3 weeks ago he completely stopped eating there has been no changes in his temperature or cage decor I thought maybe he was impacted so gave him a short warm soak Wich ended in him biting me Wich has never happened before he doesn't seem lethargic I'm not really sure what the problem is any ideas?

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Sometimes they just don't eat for awhile. As long as he's normally active and his tail isn't getting smaller, just keep offering and try not to worry. You could also try crickets again, or superstorms.

Aliza

AndyBunn

Sometimes they just don't eat for awhile. As long as he's normally active and his tail isn't getting smaller, just keep offering and try not to worry. You could also try crickets again, or superstorms.

Aliza
Is it possible the Gecko is just bored of mealworms?

Carmenstanziale

Is it possible the Gecko is just bored of mealworms?
I guess it's possible I just figured there would be a slow down in the amount he ate instead of completely stopping all together I read somewhere when they go through puberty they will stop eating I'm hoping that is it. His tail is still fat he seems healthy other than not eating

Carmenstanziale

This may sound stupid but my wife started using new air freshener in the house around the time he stopped eating is it possible that could have affected him ?

AndyBunn

I guess it's possible I just figured there would be a slow down in the amount he ate instead of completely stopping all together I read somewhere when they go through puberty they will stop eating I'm hoping that is it. His tail is still fat he seems healthy other than not eating
Its good that his tail is still fat. Hopefully he will start eating again. It's a stressful time for you both.

AndyBunn

This may sound stupid but my wife started using new air freshener in the house around the time he stopped eating is it possible that could have affected him ?
Thats possible. We don't use air fresheners because they are bad for my phasmids and tarantulas.

Carmenstanziale

Oh we have had hamsters and they do smell. Phasmids are stick or walking insects. I have tons of them.
I know it sounds horrible but I can't stand the hamster I only got him because my son fell in love with a mouse I brought home to feed my ball python so I bought the hamster to take place of the mouse I regret the decision now but that is how it goes sometimes

Carmenstanziale

I know it sounds horrible but I can't stand the hamster I only got him because my son fell in love with a mouse I brought home to feed my ball python so I bought the hamster to take place of the mouse I regret the decision now but that is how it goes sometimes
Is it easy to care for phasmids ? It sounds like something I would be interested in . Are they wild caught or do people breed them

AndyBunn

My kids wanted hamsters too. They are good pets but you have to clean them regularly. Ours would defecate in their bed space and every where. On the bright side they don't live for long. Lol

AndyBunn

Is it easy to care for phasmids ? It sounds like something I would be interested in . Are they wild caught or do people breed them

Phasmids are pretty easy to keep. The ones I have I bought/traded or got free.

There are many different types but most will like a humid vivarium and eat bramble, privet, ivy. There are ground dwellers and arboreal and even flying ones. Some are parthenogenic and others pair up to reproduce. Once you have got a stick you have a pet for life. They lay lots of eggs. They are really interesting to keep. I have been keeping them for 7 years.

Visit our friends