Leopard Gecko Ovulation

White Shaq

So I am just starting to breed leopard geckos. I have the male and the females but I need my females to start ovulating. I have two females who I have had from babies and a female I just got who has been bred before. the females i have had from babies have never laid a single infertile egg over the years. I was wondering if they have never ovulated or they just absorbed the egg into their body. I was also wondering if the female who has been bred before will just start ovulating around Jan. or Feb. or do I need to do something special to get her to ovulate. And finaly do i need to do something special to the females who have never laid an egg.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Although there are leopard geckos ovulating at any time during the year, breeding season usually starts in late January. Most people wait until the females show signs of ovulating (and for some it could be more than a month later than late January) and then put them in with the male. When I was breeding geckos, I kept my male with his females for the entire breeding season. I'd put them together mid-January. Some of the females would tolerate breeding at that time and some wouldn't. Don't expect ovulation before mid-January. It will happen on it's own. If they're still eating at this time of the year, feed them a healthy and varied diet so if they stop eating when they ovulate, they'll have resources stored. Then you let nature take its course, there's nothing special you have to do. Often a first time breeder will lay several clutches of infertile eggs. This is not unusual either. I'm attaching an article I wrote about the yearly gecko cycle to give you an idea how it goes:

Aliza

Visit our friends