Leopard gecko waste smells awful! Is this normal?

ZNature

Hi! I just took in a leopard gecko who somebody didn’t have the time for anymore. Her setup was pretty bad and super dirty but I cleaned it up and got her a new setup. I have three other leopard geckos and I can barely smell their waste but this geckos waste smells awful. It looks completely normal and she looks healthy as well. She’s 8 months old and 36 grams. She was only fed crickets but now I’m feeding a variety of insects. I don’t think it’s parasites because she has a nice fat tail and good appetite but her waste just really stinks. (She’s in shed in the second photo) 104A86DC-9DF5-461D-BD4A-D0AF20B5EFE2.jpeg 6F48F4F4-EA4E-42BE-8D1E-2DD402888593.jpeg

Attachments

• A05C1A29-B109-4290-9F79-F26F9F321DB6.jpeg
    A05C1A29-B109-4290-9F79-F26F9F321DB6.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Are you sure she's just 36 grams? She looks a lot bigger than that! The safest thing to do is to bring a stool sample to a reptile vet. How long have you had her? Is there any chance that she's adjusting to new feeders? I think I've had geckos who are smellier than others, but I can't think of any specific examples.

Aliza

ZNature

Yep she is definitely around 36 grams. I just weighed her again and took a pic. She’s pretty squirmy so I put her in a container. She was fed crickets only so there is a good chance that she is adjusting to the new foods I’m giving her. So far she’s had some super worms and crickets and I’m going to try some mealworms and Dubia roaches soon too once I get some more. It might actually be the fact that she’s been eating a lot of calcium from her calcium dish. Apparently her food had never been dusted before and she didn't have a calcium dish or anything in her tank so when I put her in her new tank a couple minutes later she found the calcium dish I put in there for her and ate a lot of it. I’ve heard they do that when they are deficient which makes sense so I just let her. I’ve had her for a bit more than a week now. Also she’s lost a bit of weight in her tail and it may be because I’m feeding her a bit less than her previous owner did. She was previously fed 10-12 crickets a day and I thought that was a lot for her age since she is now 8 months so I still feed her daily but only 1-2 medium to large crickets or a large super worm. 6E37D1B5-442A-48CC-9959-56BD9F16D924.jpeg

Visit our friends